The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AAZ new boost pin fitted, now leaking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mastakilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AAZ new boost pin fitted, now leaking
    Posted: 16 Aug 19 at 10:22
Hi, I've fitted the rover boost pin to my AAZ pump, and now it's leaking from the lda top.
The lda can is full of fuel under the diagraphm, and it leaks from under the diagraphm.
I've ordered the seals kit, and I plan to reseal the pump top first to see if I can fix it without removing the pump from the engine. But now I wonder if the different profile of the boost pin somehow made the feeler pin work in a different position leading to the leak, or if the feeler pin itself is too short for the rover pin?
If that is the case, is there a part # for a longer pin to fit along with the rover boost pin?

mastakilla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mastakilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 19 at 09:15
Since the gasket set didn't arrive in time and I wanted to use the van for a road trip I used the brake fluid trick to gain some time.
Much to my surprise it seems to have worked: I poured 500ml of dot4 in a full tank of diesel and made 600km non stop. Today no leaks!
rolla View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 19 at 17:39
hello mastakilla .... can I ask you about th "brake fluid in diesel trick" ...??
I'm not needing to do anything like that as no leaks .... but I'd like to understand ..?
Is it a case of brake fluid "swelling" seals up to nip the leak ...??
cheers buddy ... im nosey sorry
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mastakilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 19 at 18:26
 Hi! Exactly, I've seen it mentioned here or on some other forum, don't remember... anyway the theory is that the dot4 reacts with the viton seals in the pump making them swell a little bit, sometimes enough to stop leaks for a while! 
rolla View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 19 at 19:20
Nice ..... thanks man .... I'll remember that ... ebay sales only ..... haha Ouch
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mastakilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 19 at 15:10
Quick update: as expected, the brake fluid hack was not a permanent cure, so I have now stripped the pump and replaced all the seals which were hardened and brittle.
Post mortem investigation revealed that the feeler pin had the 15% or so of its length (the rear part, the one that normally sits in the pump body) covered in rough grime. Fitting the rover boost pin allowed this rough part to travel past the tired seal, sanding it off and creating the leak.
There is a pin in the top of the pump which is retained by two ball bearings pressed in the casing, which are a pain to remove. For this reason, I want to replace them with grub screws or something so that if/when I'll have to service it again, I won't have to endure this suffering again. I see it's been advised  on other forums too, but I'm unsure about what to use. M8 grub screw + thread locker/sealant ? a short bolt + dowty washer? an oring?
We'll see. Meanwhile, I have the gearbox out again as we forgot the spigot bearing...so the gearbox sealant started leaking on my newly fitted clutch. This van is a money pit, may it be damned.

Post Reply Post Reply