The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brown - White Wire to T5 + Battery Terminal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brown - White Wire to T5 + Battery Terminal
    Posted: 07 Aug 19 at 11:00
Please would you tell me what the brown / white wire connects to the battery :)

Charlie Dog View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 19 at 11:34
Correction, the brown - white wire connects to the battery negative terminal
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 19 at 21:06
I don't know for certain what that is the earth for.  I would guess it's a dedicated and isolated path back from the ECU so doesn't have to use the body.  I don't think I'll risk taking mine off to find out though! LOL 
2004 2.5 174
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 19 at 21:23
Thank you very much Sir Smile

You say you wouldn't like to disconnect yours,
funnily enough, mine's broken off at the connector,
I'm a bit worried about reconnecting it 
without finding out more about what it does.
And what the risks are in reconnecting it.

Has anyone else any ideas on reconnecting it please?

gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 19 at 02:42
Surely if it was connected and has broken off it is supposed to be connected and it can't do any harm to re-connect it ?  Unless it was deliberately disconnected, then you might want to find out the reasons before doing anything.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 19 at 06:09
Exactly Smile

Anyone got any ideas as to if I'll come to grief if I just connect it up again please?
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 19 at 08:42
As Greg says if it's been broken not cut then it belongs back where it was.  If you were fitting a new battery you would normally fit the positive first so you aren't doing much different.  Be interesting to see if anything new starts working..  
2004 2.5 174
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 19 at 08:56
Thanks, my thinking too Smile

Except that, there's folks about would snap the wire rather than get spanners out.
Plus, I wrecked an ECU a while back by changing a bulb with the circuit live.
Car electronic's greatest ambition seems to be to wake up dead  Evil Smile

Can you think of any precautions I should take please?

If I disconnect the earth at the battery to make the connection, should I keep the car connected to a 12v supply please?
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 19 at 15:24
You could disconnect the battery, reconnect the positive and then the earth and your wire.   
2004 2.5 174
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 19 at 15:46
Thanks Smile

I don't need to use an auxillary 12v supply to keep it's memory then please?
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 19 at 05:12
On my T5 the only thing I have to do after re-connecting the main battery is to reset the one-touch windows, so I've never bothered using an auxillary battery.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 19 at 09:01
If it's the original radio it should remember its own code. On mine the original radio used to show the word 'LEARNING' on the display after you reconnected the battery and then just come back on.  Even the radio stations were remembered.  It would have needed a code if I had fitted it to a different van though. 

As Greg says the one touch windows will need resetting.  You haven't said what year your van is, it's possible some ECU learned values might be lost but failed batteries are a common thing so it should cope with it.   
2004 2.5 174
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 19 at 09:36
Thanks Greg Smile

How do you reset "One touch windows" please?
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 19 at 09:37
Thanks Smile

Reg 2005.

I suppose it could also be late 2003.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 19 at 09:42
Correction could be late 2004
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 19 at 09:47
Extra Info

After an 8 mile run yesterday evening.
voltage between broken wire and battery
varied almost second by second.

Reading varied between say 10.5 and just above zero.
With lots of different readings in between.

40 minutes later, I checked the voltage difference again.
Reading stayed at zero, for the 1/2 minute I checked.

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 19 at 11:13
Originally posted by Charlie Dog Charlie Dog wrote:

Thanks Greg Smile

How do you reset "One touch windows" please?

On Driver's window:
Press and hold the "down" button - keep holding it for 10 seconds after it reaches the bottom.
Press and hold the "up" button - keep holding it for 10 seconds after it reaches the top.

Repeat for passenger window.

This tells the window controller where the lower & upper limits of travel are, so the one-touch function should work again.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 19 at 12:44
Thank you very much Greg Smile

Nice and simple, just the way I like it.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 19 at 19:58
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

If it's the original radio it should remember its own code. On mine the original radio used to show the word 'LEARNING' on the display after you reconnected the battery and then just come back on.  Even the radio stations were remembered.  It would have needed a code if I had fitted it to a different van though. 

As Greg says the one touch windows will need resetting.  You haven't said what year your van is, it's possible some ECU learned values might be lost but failed batteries are a common thing so it should cope with it.   

Thank you for the tip about the raidio memory T5 TDI Smile
rolla View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 19 at 17:23
That wire is for your reference voltage to the central conveinience unit, 09 i think.....
I had it disconnected on my 54plate shuttle, connected it and this fault (BELOW) disappered ....
like i'd rubbed the genie lamp.... was mega chuffed as it cleared up my faults ... sold the piece of shizzer anyhoo... just connect it mate ... brown/white on neg term.

Address 09: Cent. Elect.        Labels:. 7H0-937-049.lbl
   Part No: 7H0 937 049 L
   Component: BORDNETZ SGVER 1.0  1901 
   Coding: 0000101
   Shop #: WSC 35110 377 00162
   VCID: 3B7378FA7907419C32-513A

1 Fault Found:
00538 - Reference Voltage
            014 - Defective

now got a 15plate 140 dsg highline van
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>