The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New user. Hello

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ianpick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New user. Hello
    Posted: 29 Jul 19 at 10:18
Hello
I've finally bitten the bullet and re-started my 1990 50th Anniversary Edition project. She has sat on the front yard for about 8 years now, up on axle stands after I removed the original ABL engine, which did what ABL engines do, then replaced it with another ABL because I didn't know any better, which then did what ABL engines do!
I bought a AHU engine and put that in last year having changed all the auxiliaries over, (they were all near new having come off of the second ABL  which also lost it's sprocket, we live and learn).
I bought the AHU blind, which may have been foolish, but now's the time to find out. I've replaced the timing belt and it turns on a spanner with no obvious nastIness going on.
I had one of those moments when, on day one, last week, I had a close look and wondered where the accelerator cable was going to go.
Electronic accelerator pedal on the AHU injector pump!
I  replaced the injector pump with the original, which entailed changing the side plate and mounting bracket and because I couldn't get the camshaft sprocket off the camshaft had to come off as well, then it all had to re-time d etc.
I have replaced the gear linkage bushes, a pig of a job with it all in situ. I should have had the whole lot out and done it on the bench.
Then it got to 37° outside then it rained for 3 days so I've not done any more.
I am concerned that the injector pump will be incompatible, any advice welcome, but I will press on today. My aim is to put a battery on and spin it at higher speed in the first place to see how it sounds and decide where to go next.
I'm hoping that it will sound ok, the AHU has done 147K.
If it all works out I'll refit the cooling and fuel and see if she will play with me.
Lots of other stuff to do, 8 years of neglect is a long time, but she's in pretty good nick so worth it.
Anybody with practical advice, I'm all ears.
I'm near Dunstable.

Ianpick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ianpick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 19 at 12:51
I mean 2000 not 1990, obviously. 

danstervan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 19 at 13:30
You can convert a TDI engine to run a throttle cable style pump. This is generally known as an MTDI conversion. The M means Mechanical pump rather than Electronic control.

Your AHU TDI (direct injection) engine will run with an injection pump from an IDI (indirect injection) engine, but it won't be ideal or go very well as the camplate and timing in the pumps differ for the two types of engine. I've run a 1Z TDI (pretty much same as AHU) with an AAZ IDI pump in the past while sourcing bits to build a better suited MTDI pump.

Of more immediate concern is that a proper cambelt change requires the cam pulley taper to be released to accurately set up the crank to cam timing so there is no valve to piston contact.
The manual explains how to do this and it's relatively simple to do. The cam pulley is released by slackening the bolt and using a pin punch to tap the inner hub of the pulley which "breaks" the taper locking between the pulley and cam.

Google MTDI for some further reading or it might be worth putting it back to standard TDI control which will take a bit of work but will work pretty well.
Lots of folk use Mk3 Golf looms which need the engine related loom stuff removed from the main loom which takes a bit of time and knowledge. Top tip, keep an eye out for Passat TDIs of that era as their loom engine loom is separate from the main loom.
Ianpick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ianpick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 19 at 20:27
Thanks for that, been at it all day and got lots done.
I'll look at your suggestions in detail tomorrow but right now just about dumper trucked!
 Post Reply Post Reply