The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Refilling 2011 van with coolant after full drain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Refilling 2011 van with coolant after full drain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2011van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refilling 2011 van with coolant after full drain
    Posted: 20 Jul 19 at 00:36
Hi guys
I refilled my van with coolant after draining it till empty. I saw a guy on YouTube just refill the expansion reservoir and he said he was good to go.

When I refilled mine I fear that it hasn’t worked it’s way fully into the system as the level is sitting above max and I know I put less in than has drained out.

Is there a proper way of refilling or checking that the coolant has entered the system properly? From reading other posts people have mentioned bleeding air but couldn’t work out how to do this or find any bleed valve. 

Thanks very much for your help...I’m afraid to run the van if the coolant hasn’t properly re-entered the system.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 19 at 09:13
Good news! 

The 2.5's aren't bad for air locks.  You can usually just start it up with the cap off and within two or three minutes it will start to gurgle down.  Then top it up and put the cap back on.  If you are worried take any small hose off briefly and leave it off if nothing comes out, leave it off until it does.  A heater hose would do, just in case it is a big airlock.  Diesels don't overheat quickly so I rarely have to bother.  It needs to get to full temp on the gauge and thermostat open before a final check top up.   
2004 2.5 174
Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 19 at 07:04
For a T5 2.5
best to drain coolant when hot from lower front coolant hose, as thermostat on back left of engine (drivers side) will(should) be open.
If you're unsure remove the thermostat. Youtube vids and how to's on google

I did a waterpump recently, and when refilling, i just filled the reservoir, then started it up.Let it run till temp guage comes up.Watch level on rez, turn engine off, let it sit for a bit, then top up if necessary.

Edited by Rebuild - 21 Jul 19 at 07:10
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply