The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Bus Park
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

vW T3 Factory High Top Reimo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybeeonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vW T3 Factory High Top Reimo
    Posted: 28 Jun 19 at 19:36
When I bought my van a few months ago, it was a tad noisy and put it down to a rotten exhaust, but after much investigation, found the right hand heat exchanger to be bust and after removing all related exhaust bits, I am left with a couple of snapped stud stems that my stud extractor won’t work on; therefore, is there an easy way to remove them without pulling out the engine?

Sadly, I don’t have a big ramp, engine hoist or other means other than a decent set of tools and a gravel drive, so will hopefully have to do it upside down under the van!!

Thanks in advance  :ok
jaybeeonline View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybeeonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 19 at 19:37

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybeeonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 19 at 19:38
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybeeonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 19 at 19:57
I finally got the engine out yesterday, with my swearing, huffing & puffing and the photo below shows the issue I have.

The stud is there, but because of the shape of the area around the exhaust port, my stud extractor is too wide and fouling as per the witness marks on the head Cry

J.
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 19 at 12:08
any thread left on the stud?  wind two nuts on to lock them up and try to unscrew the stud?
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybeeonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 19 at 18:09
Originally posted by mrhutch mrhutch wrote:

any thread left on the stud?  wind two nuts on to lock them up and try to unscrew the stud?

Sadly not, enough for half a nut only

J.

mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 19 at 22:37
got a MIG?  weld a nut on the end?
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 19 at 12:40
WHS^^^ find a friendly welder. The heat for the weld does 90% of the work for you.
 Post Reply Post Reply