The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > South African T3s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Powersteering re-install

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Powersteering re-install
    Posted: 10 Jun 19 at 11:37
I've a 1995 2.5l caravelle. I'm trying to re-install power-steering (a previous owner took it out!).
I tried to go down the electric motor on the column option, but the fuse box was in the way.
I've just bought a RHD power-steering rack, which is being re-conditioned. Can anyone advise which pump I need and reservoir?

As a matter of interest has anyone managed to fit epas to an SA van?  The epas kits I've seen so far all put the motor to the right of the column where the fuse box is on the SA van.

Thanks
Wychall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wychall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 19 at 13:26
I researched the fitting of epas to my 2.5 some years back and failed to find a solution. I subsequently obtained the PS from a 2.5 caravelle and fitted that. I should have a pic of the pump installation somewhere which I will add to this post. Failing that, I'll take another pic tonight.

South African 1991 2.5i 5cyl Microbus - virgin, not campered - piloted by Brian.
Wychall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wychall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 19 at 18:36
This is the id plate from the pump on mine. 

South African 1991 2.5i 5cyl Microbus - virgin, not campered - piloted by Brian.
Nuge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 19 at 20:08
Many thanks
nicq View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 19 at 08:59
you could always fit an electric ps pump up the front saves on bracketery and long pipes if you have the rack. 
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 19 at 16:51
^^  WHS
90's saxo's had a nice small pump & reservoir combined that fits behind the front grille

T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 19 at 16:52
Nuge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 19 at 19:56
Thanks everyone - like the electric pump idea - would I need to get a higher output alternator- I'm guessing the pump will pull 20 amps or so?
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 19 at 13:41
your five pot should have a 90A alternator?
TransPorscher View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TransPorscher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 19 at 22:01
Is the van red with other nice high spec parts removed ?  Might be my old one that I sold to my twat brother who removed all the good bits !  Send me a PM with phone number & I'll call you. I might be able to help.

The PAS rack needs a different rod connecting it to the steering gear. The reservoir can be any 1980s VAG item & the pump an Audi 5 cylinder unit. Hoses can be made easily & that's the job my twat brother didn't do :) because they were rusty.

By the way was the engine running right when you got it ? It had a miss-fire/flat spot a few years ago.

Does the electric blower to cool the injectors work ?  My bro sorted that issue out, bless him !

Let me know, ta.

Smile
Charlie

Small Moves Big Grooves! WeFunkRadio.com

Nuge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 19 at 22:15
Yes it’s a red van - still has air con but missing it’s power W mirrors and possibly windows. In the end my second hand steering rack was un-reconditionable (it had been badly machined) so I went back to plan A. By moving the fuse box the electric power steering fitted discretely behind the air vent - which is now disconnected. It works really well. 
Nuge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 19 at 22:21
Nuge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 19 at 22:24
Sorry - that should read moving the fuse box up behind the air vent, the powersteering motor fitted behind the fuse box cover.
Trying to upload photos - unsuccessfully so far
TransPorscher View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TransPorscher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 19 at 22:28
Glad you got the EPAS fitted. Sounds like the same bus. Has it got Saab front seats trimmed in grey & plain grey front door trim panels ?  Most niggles were sorted by my bro but I never understood why he took the nice bits off !!

Charlie

Small Moves Big Grooves! WeFunkRadio.com

Post Reply Post Reply