The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SHUTTLE OIL PROBLEM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUCASSOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SHUTTLE OIL PROBLEM
    Posted: 03 Jun 19 at 13:21
Hi , I would like your opinions on slight oil traces in coolant reservoir.  I thought head gasket but VW said could be oil cooler leaking. How can oil get into coolant from oil cooler?
thanks 
Ermm
Ducassos
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 19 at 14:11
The oil cooler definitely can leak oil into the coolant (it is surrounded by coolant).  It was a very common problem back in 2006 on the 2.5l 5 pot engine. In fact VW eventually ran a campaign to replace all the faulty oil coolers FOC.  

Note that it is quite difficult to get all the oil out of the coolant system.  Mine was flushed 3 times, until I figured out the engine had to get really hot to help the oil move it just kept coming out again.  I had to work the engine really hard in hills for 20 minutes or so to have the desired affect.
DUCASSOS View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUCASSOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 19 at 16:41
thanks for that . do you  have any directives from vw  confirming the foc recall? 
Ducassos
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 19 at 00:47
Originally posted by DUCASSOS DUCASSOS wrote:

thanks for that . do you  have any directives from vw  confirming the foc recall? 

According to my paper records it was a 17C6 recall carried out by my dealer on 15 July 2008.  

Note that this was in Australia, so I don't know if the recall numbers are country-specific or the same world wide.

I have hand written 07011 7021D on the invoice with a tick, so that may be the part number.

The oil cooler had already been replaced on the 6 Feb 2008 (it failed) and the part # then was V070117021D "Oil Cooler, AXD", also had V070198389 "Seals for Oil C" and V070115441A "Gasket, Oil Fil" on that invoice.

Edited by gregozedobe - 04 Jun 19 at 00:53
DUCASSOS View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUCASSOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 19 at 18:38
thanks mate, may be helpful to my enquiries with vw locally. 
Ducassos
DUCASSOS View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUCASSOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 19 at 11:23
would I be looking at oil seals or new cooler?
Ducassos
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 19 at 11:57
Originally posted by DUCASSOS DUCASSOS wrote:

would I be looking at oil seals or new cooler?

According to the part #'s they replaced both on mine.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 19 at 21:06
I'd definitely replace both.  Mine pumped out oil when it leaked.  If you don't mind an aftermarket one they are very cheap.  Remember to check if the seals come with it.  It could be just the oil and water seals leaking but mine had corroded from the outside into a pinhole on the finned aluminium section.  You can't do it (on the 2.5 at least) without taking the front off unfortunately.

Edited by T5 TDI - 06 Jun 19 at 21:08
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply