The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - engine smoking  and air bubbles in cooling system
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

engine smoking and air bubbles in cooling system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copernicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine smoking and air bubbles in cooling system
    Posted: 15 May 19 at 05:52
I have a 1988  T3 with 1.6 turbo diesel JX engine.  I had the engine worked on and the head gasket was replaced and cylinder skimmed.  The car now has exhaust smoke and continues to have air bubbles in the cooling system.  The smoke continues to get worse and engine is getting more sluggish.  Really need someone who knows these engines and has information.   Any advice?  
Jorge Camacho
danstervan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 19 at 17:20
Was there a previous issue that caused the recent engine work to be carried out?
EG: Was the engine overheated

Pressure testing the head when it is off might prove the head is ok, but if the engine suffered a serious overheat the block may have suffered.
The symptoms you describe now such as smoke and sluggish power could be explained by incorrect injection pump and cam timing if the folk that did the work didn't really know what they were doing.
Bubbles in coolant could just be down to the system not being properly bled.
Checking pump and cam timing plus that the coolant system is bled correctly really need to be done first to eliminate them as the cause of the problems.

Edited by danstervan - 15 May 19 at 17:22
copernicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copernicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 19 at 07:23
It had overheated from a trip and head gasket was done and injectors cleaned and tested.  The van was given back to me and wasn’t right so went back and found out the timing was off and then  fixed.  
The bubbles have been ongoing issue and was told it was bled but air is getting in somehow.  Hoping to find someone who can help or I can take it to who really knows these engines, to check it and see timing and pressure is correct and just really look it over.  I appreciate your help!
Jorge Camacho
copernicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copernicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 19 at 07:24
There is also a little oil on the exhaust pipe. 
Jorge Camacho
 Post Reply Post Reply