FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T4 1900td smoking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Timjburrows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T4 1900td smoking
    Posted: 13 Jun 19 at 16:32
love mine to bits,just put a bit of water in every now and then as the heater tap leaks,drives lovely,36.8 mpg,happily keeps up with a t5,LIGHTLY tweaked but when driven in anger the 1.9td swallows fuel like a lorry
fazzer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fazzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 19 at 15:35
That was my worry the expense but only cost £60,sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet,forums do help us out but sometimes make things a bit more drastic than it really is. Alls good now had few good weekends away trouble free now just waiting for next issue ๐Ÿ˜
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 19 at 23:44
oh I see,problems are best diagnosed with all info,without it you can go down a very expensive road of unnecessary expense,so glad itโ€™s sorted now and not cost an arm and a leg 
fazzer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fazzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 19 at 23:07
Ive owned the van for approx 6 weeks,when i bought the van owner said it was smoky as not been used i foolishly took his word for it.A few people have said pump timing could be out so gave it to a diesel mechanic who told me it was a tooth out on the belt.all belts and tensioner were new according to mechanic,on looking at reciepts i had with van belts were changed in 2016 but only done around 800 miles since then.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 19 at 18:16
you didn't say the belt had been changed,?i assumed it just doing it one day

fazzer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fazzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 19 at 22:41
Update on my problem,had van put into garage and turns out the timing belt was a tooth out now fixed and running perfectly.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 19 at 17:30
could be bottom timing belt pulley on the move if timing was ok and nothing else has happened engine wise,I'd check very soon as if it's the case your engine will be toast if it lets go
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 19 at 16:14
Cold start lever advances the pump timing by +2 degrees under 2000 Rpm. So yes I guess so. 
fazzer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fazzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 19 at 10:03
My t4 is fitted with the cold start handle ,at normal running temp the van blows out diesel smelling white/grey smoke but if i pull the cold start handle out it dont smoke at all ,could this be a pump timing issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply