The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel pump timing question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hydra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel pump timing question
    Posted: 14 Mar 19 at 18:14
So, I managed to get the fuel pump off of my mk1 LT40, fixed the dodgy seal and the pump is back on. Hooray!

It started up beautifully on e first attempt, hooray!

But then.... a terrible knocking. 

I ecked the timing marks and they seemed to have been a few mm out, I think I may not have tightened up the crankshaft pulley enough.

I have lined up all marks and moved the gear and it is better, but still knocking, nowhere near as badly mind, and not revving up enough.

I a not sure what to do next, everything seems to be lined up.

However, on the flywheel there are two marks about 1.5cm apart, one is simply a line, the other is a line with a 0 or balloon shape on the end, looks like a lollipop. I assumed this was the tdc mark. The other line mark is after it on the flywheel. What is that second line mark for?

The pump and pump housing and pump pulley marks are all lined up when the nodule on the flywheel is lined up with the lollipop. So I am stumped. Any suggestions? 

VW LT40 Mk1 1983, 2.4 6 cy;l diesel, 3.5 tonne (downrated from 4t) was Horsebox now Campervan
Monster LT View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 19 at 22:40
Any progress?
Sorry but do you mean camshaft pulley? I may have misunderstood so forgive me if I talk crap but have you checked the pulley and its woodruff key to make sure they are still OK and seating correctly & snug? If loose when you started up it could have sheared maybe or damaged the seating?

Edited by Monster LT - 16 Mar 19 at 01:10
LT45-TD-ACL-intercooler-4x4-1993
Hydra View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hydra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 19 at 10:50
Hi, sorry yes, camshaft pulley. Now here is a weird thing. When the pump was removed there was no woodruff key in the camshaft pulley - it definitely didn't fall out, there was simply nothing there, which I found strange. There was a key in the pump pulley, but not the camshaft pulley.
VW LT40 Mk1 1983, 2.4 6 cy;l diesel, 3.5 tonne (downrated from 4t) was Horsebox now Campervan
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 19 at 13:52
Is there a groove for the woodruff key on the camshaft? Does it look in good shape? Does the pulley have a groove for the woodruff key? Is that in good shape? It maybe that the key has sheared off in bits and is no more. Depending of the state of the shaft and pulley you may need to re-seat the pulley with some grinding compound and find a suitable key to fit and re-time the lot. If there is damage to the pulley you'll need to source a new one. You probably know all this. I've not pulled my camshaft pulley but I'm pretty sure there ought to be one. Confused Diesel pump has one and it's visible in the parts list but it doesn't appear on the camshaft page although the drawing of the shaft appears to have a groove.

Edited by Monster LT - 16 Mar 19 at 13:56
912 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 19 at 14:42
There’s no key in the cam pulley, it’s a locking taper
Hydra View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hydra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 19 at 15:24
Thanks - I don't think it originally had a key and does look in good shape. I am wondering if it is not quite snug enough.

Does it sound like I am using the right timing mark, eg: the lollipop shaped mark on the flywheel?
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 19 at 18:13
yes, that 0 is the one to line up with the mark on the block and arrow on the bell housing for TDC. A photo here from nooberdoobers post: http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/uploads/14545/flywheel_markings.jpg

Edited by Monster LT - 16 Mar 19 at 21:30
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 19 at 18:41
Have you got the vw 6cyl diesel workshop manual?
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 19 at 21:04
My mistake. No woodruff for the cam pulley.
If all is timed correctly and you still have knocking then I guess you'll need to look elsewhere. According to the manual bad injectors can cause knocking.

Edited by Monster LT - 16 Mar 19 at 22:36
Hydra View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hydra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 19 at 14:39
After fiddling around a bit, The knocking is greatly reduced, but it still isn't running quite right, sounds a bit slow and lump. How 'precision' is the timing, for instance, does 1 millimetre make a huge difference?
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 19 at 23:03
I didn't want to comment since I've never set the pump timing but no-one has answered you. Do you mean a milimeter on the timing gauge? This vid may be useful athough not on an LT but its a D24 with a bosch VE all the same:
Junk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 19 at 17:06
Originally posted by Hydra Hydra wrote:

How 'precision' is the timing, for instance, does 1 millimetre make a huge difference?

Ive got the same question, maybe someone can answer it?

Here's a picture to illustrate:

The marks are only about 3mm away from being aligned. Is this OK or does it need to be adjusted?
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 19 at 18:38
Only one answer for me, the marks are there for a reason.
If they don't match it's obvious what to do.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Post Reply Post Reply