The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lt50 horse box

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dangermouse243 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lt50 horse box
    Posted: 14 Mar 19 at 14:56
Hi guys, I'm new to this site but I'm reliably informed this is the best place to get advice! I have an LT50 1987 with a coach built horsebox on it, it's stupidly slow on hills and I wondered if anybody had 'repowered' any of these vehicles and if so.... what engine did you use? I've heard rumours of a BMW 525 diesel being used but don't know if it's straightforward or not?
I'm also trying to locate front shock absorbers for it, any advice welcomed,
Kind regards, andy 
Buss Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 19 at 18:21
Hi and Welcome. Yes this is the best forum to get advice. There are also 2 German forums that are good.
The best Place worldwide to get parts, is just a click With the mouse in the upper right corner of this page, away.
If you have the 75hp NA engine, yes it is dead slow. If you have a Turbo engine, you could ad an intercooler and get about 20% more HP. And chek Your trottle cable.
I think i have heard about 4 that has converted their LT to 2,5TDI. (Turkey, Austria, Germany and UK) Boltpattern on 5 and 6 syl engines are the same, so you could mate it to the gearbox. It is stil a lot of work.
I am planing to instal a 116hp 2,5TDI in mine this spring. The reason i go for the 116hp is that i will be able to get it aproved by the veichle inspection. A 140hp wil not be aproved. I know there is a guy in Austria that has chipped his to about 180hp. It goes quite well.Teher is a Youtube film of a LT With a straight 6. Thrn thry also have to use a BMW gearbox, so it complicates every thing. I might, in the future, change to a Volvo overdrive gearbox. Then the rpm's will go Down 21%
87 Karmann LT L 2,4D. 89 T3 Syncro Reimo 1,9TD. 2000 T4 Caravelle TDI
Dangermouse243 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dangermouse243 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 19 at 21:38
Thanks for all that info Buss, you've been lots of help, I didn't know about the higher hp's not being approved, what is the 2.5tdi 116hp engine from? 
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 19 at 12:16
Just under the Brickwerks banner is the Search facility. Use the Advanced dialogue to narrow down the forums; there is a great deal of easyily found information here.
There is a 2.5TDi in Seattle-ish and an electric one in the making in Toronto.
There are also a Rover V8, Lexus and a Jaguar too.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 19 at 16:03
Hello Dangermouse 243 and welcome, there's not much i can add to the great advise above.
However i did have a very bad experience back in nineties with an engine conversion its on a post here somewhere,good luck.
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
 Post Reply Post Reply