The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

squeaky belt LT2 2.5TDI

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speshulbrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: squeaky belt LT2 2.5TDI
    Posted: 08 Mar 19 at 18:32
got a squeaky belt on my LT 2 2.5 TDI , really annoying me now lol, i,ve had a look at the alternator mount, how do i tension the belt? Is it do able  for a novice mechanic , any advice appreciated  Spesh
mojo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 19 at 19:54
They have hydraulic tensioners, no adjustment possible. Time for a new belt or tensioner.
The tensioner is circled in the pic, to release the tension wind the bolt (arrowed) slowly clockwise to compress the tensioner.

2006 LT35 TDI 109 AVR
Speshulbrew View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speshulbrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 19 at 20:34
many thanks Mojo any idea of price for the tensioner, what are they like to replace mate? Front end off ?  Spesh
mojo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 19 at 20:55
Piece of pi$$ to change, easily accessible, belt off and two bolts. The tensioner piston on it's own I've seen around £30-40 on the likes of ebay. The full unit I've seen £70-100's. Have you got a new belt on there? 
2006 LT35 TDI 109 AVR
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speshulbrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 19 at 21:24
nice one mate, the visible  belt i,m looking at ,the ribbed one , is that the timing belt ? said already ,novice ha ha , had a new timing belt on 4 years ago 30,000 mile 

mojo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 19 at 22:08
The visible one is the auxiliary belt, it drives the alternator, power steering pump and air con (if you have it). The timing belt is hidden behind a cover on the front of the engine, there's also another belt on the back of the engine for the diesel pump. The timing belt and the diesel pump belt are supposed to be changed every 85,000 miles or 4 years. If the timing belt snaps it's game over for the engine. An old test to see if it is the auxiliary belt squeaking is to put some talc on it and the pulleys, if the squeak goes, most likely a worn belt.

What year is the van and do you know what engine code you have? 
2006 LT35 TDI 109 AVR
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speshulbrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 19 at 22:31
thanks mate ,the timing belt was done 30.000 mile ago when i first got the van,its on an 05 plate dont know the code ,i,ll try that with the talc, every days a school day lol

mojo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 19 at 09:28
All your van information is on the inside of the fuse board cover on the steering column if you ever need it.
A new auxiliary belt is only about £10 from the likes of GSF or Eurocarparts if you order online with the discount codes. If you don't know when it was last changed I'd start with that before worrying about the tensioner.
2006 LT35 TDI 109 AVR
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speshulbrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 19 at 17:15
many thanks Mojo 

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speshulbrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 19 at 20:55
changed the belt mate, problem solved,thanks again 
 Post Reply Post Reply