The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Smoky LT mk1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ystei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smoky LT mk1
    Posted: 17 Feb 19 at 04:30
Hello guys!

My first post here! I'm always ending up on this forum when searching for something about the lt so I thought it might be a good place to ask for some advise!

I just bought myself a 1992 flatbed / car transporter VW LT 35 TD. I was actually looking for something wat newer but I fell absolutely in love with this beauty so I had to buy her.. :)

the last owner said it has 109hp but I'm not sure if that's right or if it has 102 hp maybe..

anyways, it smokes like nothing else. Both blue smoke on start and untill warm and black smoke if I just think about touching the accelerator.. up hills it leaves the whole area smoked and smelly.

Any ideas for how to troubleshoot?

I plan to change the air filter tomorrow, though I believe it is more serious that just the filter.

Any suggestions of advise is very appreciated! I can't drive around like this!!

Ystei View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ystei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 19 at 04:43
I realize I wrote a bit too quick and I can't edit the post to correct.
-way* newer
-suggestions or* advise
Buss Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 19 at 11:10
Welcome to this forum, the only functional non-German LT forum in the world.
The 109hp Version With 200nm was only an option in LT 28, 31 and 35E and vas introdused in 1988. LT 35z to LT55 had the 102hp/195nm engine. Both has the same engine code: DV. It was in Production until 07/92. From 08/91 VW started to produse the TD-IC engine With 94hp. Engine code: ACL. VOLVO 740 also came withe a 109hp diesel engine, så the engine could com from a Volvo.
Could somone have had to much fun With the injection pump?
87 Karmann LT L 2,4D. 89 T3 Syncro Reimo 1,9TD. 2000 T4 Caravelle TDI
Ystei View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ystei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 19 at 12:56
Thanks Marius!

It makes sense with 109 then - it is a single wheel (that's what the E stands for, right?) And was produced late 1991 as a 1992 model. Chassis H005768.

That might that someone has adjusted the pump to high.. it is very powerful when the turbo kicks in at 3500rpm-ish.. and I have the impression that it smokes less (still way to much) on hight rpm/turbo pressure than low rpm during acceleration..

So, sending the pump for adjusting would be a smart thing maybe?

Any recommendations for where to send it? I live in Norway, but everything is expensive here so sending it somewhere else in Europe is probably cheaper.. :)

Also, what about getting the turbo to give pressure a bit earlier? I believe I saw a post about some part from Volvo that adjust the turbo differently..
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 19 at 22:55
It is this screw you have to adjust on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Foj37uTbwzw i think there are even better youtube videos of how to adjust the Bosch VE pump.
I tried to adjust on my 75hp non-turbo engine, to see if there was any thing to get, but i only got black smoke. It wasent realy a big surprice as my fuel consumption is actualy quite good compared to what i read on German forums is normal. In the summer of 2017 i drove from just south of Hamburg, to Loreley and consumed 11,5/100km I am quite happy With that.
One month from now, i will start instaling a 2,5TDI 116hp engine from an Audi A6. I hope to reduce my consumption with at least 20% with the new engine.
Ystei View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ystei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 19 at 18:14
I'll try that for sure! Thanks! He said "pay close attention to the timing marks", timing of what? Does he just mean to remember the starting position of the screw?

Very interesting project with the TDI! I definitely consider fitting newer engine as well! Maybe I should just do that before I start investing in this old engine.

What's the budget for your conversion? And what will you do with gearbox? Do you need to make a bunch of costom made parts?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 19 at 12:48
You have to know where you started, so you can adjust it back to original position, if there are other Things, like woren out engine, that makes it smoke.

I have no Budget
I found the -94 Audi A6 donor car in Bergen for 5000NKR (450£) I tok the plane to Bergen and drove it the 500km home, then tok of the License plates and deliverd them. Geting the engine out is not the problem, it is to get out al the wiring, that you need for it to run like a real TDI. And know witch cables you can cut. When i deliver the car to the junkyard i will get another 3000nkr back. I think i wil end up around 1000£ if i dont get anny electronic problems, that i have to pay somone to sort for me.
There is i tread hear about i guy in Turkey that did the Conversion about 8-9 years ago. Read it.   
Ystei View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ystei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 19 at 13:00
Nice! Very inspiring! :) I'll check it out!

Let me know if you need a hand, im often in Oslo! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply