The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help please -loss of power/lights flashing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papillo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help please -loss of power/lights flashing
    Posted: 28 Jan 19 at 12:01
Hi
Newbie, no idea what to do but then neither do the three garages we’ve tried!

Ok,T5 07 2.5 -had her 9 years, no issues, love her.

Last two months we’ve had engine management light flick on /off and re set.
Garage said it was “intermittent fault” but didn’t know what.

Then we have the coils and “engine workshop!” With a loss of power.

This occasionally re sets.

It had all gone off last time in the garage so they couldn’t pinpoint it apparently

We’ve had the AA out twice -egr was gummed up so he cleaned it and the faults were over boost /a sensor to do with the fuel.

Into a different garage.
They can’t ponpoibt either (!!!) and said it needs a new turbo.
It’s done 144,009
No smoking /no noise.
There was oil under the pan.

We’ve not had to put massive amounts of oil in tbh -nothing out the ordinary.

But it’s booked in for next week for a new one.

AA man (also a friend) isn’t convinced it is that at all.

So...

Could any of you shed any light? Or point me to where would know?gloucestershirr please.
I’ve no issue if it needs a new turbo and they’re a well recommended garage, but something is telling me it’s not that(atm at least!) so I don’t really want to spend £££ if the fault is still there!

Many thanks

Papillo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papillo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 19 at 14:30

Patrol found the following fault code/s:System : Engine control 1 - 57X / Diesel EDC 16U31 Status :P0299 - Boost pressure control. Error Message : Below control limit. Error sporadic. Status :P2279 - Intake system. Error Message : Air leakage. Error sporadic. Status :P0183 - Fuel temperature sensor. Error Message : Open circuit/positive short. Error sporadic. Status :P0113 - IAT sensor. Error Message : Signal too high. Error sporadic. Status :P1592 - Height sensor / induction manifold pressure sensor. Error Message : Implausible ratio. Error sporadic. Status :P0237 - Boost pressure sensor. Error Message : Signal too low. Error static.

This was the AA printout if it’s any help
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 19 at 14:55
I'd download the free-version of vcds and buy a cheap cable off fleabay.
You can then check for codes when a problem arises, plus sometimes there is more information. e.g.

18711/P2279/008825 - Leak in Air Intake System

Possible Symptoms

• Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) active

Possible Causes

• Vacuum Leak
  • Intake Manifold Runner Position out of Specification
  • Faulty Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) System or Heating Element (N79)

Possible Solutions

• Check Intake System for Leaks
  • Check Intake Manifold Runner
  • Check (PCV) System and / or Heating Element if applicable

Special Notes

• When found in the NAR 2.0T (BPY) check RVUTB: 01-09-03 or 2018919 for updated Crankcase Breather Valve
    • If the breather valve is faulty, full engine vacuum is typically found when removing the oil cap at idle.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 19 at 15:12
Is there any chance the voltage regulator is playing up intermittently and delivering too high a voltage to everything.  VW control units cannot cope with voltage above 15V and give all sorts of weird error codes.

Otherwise I'd be looking at some kind of electrical fault that is affecting a number of different areas.
Papillo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papillo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 19 at 17:49
Ok, Indy mechanic had said wiring loom and MAF sensor ? Sound reasonable?
This has been going on for three months now! I’m hoping when I pick her up tomorrow there’s no lights and she drives brilliantly again!!!
Will update.

Thanks
DaveHobie View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveHobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 19 at 21:14
Ask them to check the turbo vane actuator - could be full of carbon and not actuating correctly causing under/over boost.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 19 at 22:05
If the codes are correct and current (and not just old ones or from people experimenting!) you have overboost and underboost conditions.  The classic variable vane problems seem to cause mainly overboost codes and intercooler/pipe leaks underboost but it is certainly not impossible for the turbo to cause both.

If you have no access to live diagnostics.  I would change the brake pedal switch.  It's cheap and common symptoms are glow plug light on and the Engine Workshop message.  If it fails in a way that the van thinks the brake pedal is being pressed together with the throttle it will cut the engine to idle even if you are blasting up a hill flat out.  There are quite a few other possibilities but without diagnostics you can't really even start.    

2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply