The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Esp light comes on after 5mins, loose all traction
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Esp light comes on after 5mins, loose all traction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strumpastaeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Esp light comes on after 5mins, loose all traction
    Posted: 21 Jan 19 at 21:09
Hi group.
I have a 2005 transporter 4motion lwb

Recently after driving for 5 mins the esp light comes on and I loose 4x4 (then having just front wheels turning) and loose all traction. Now that it's snowy and icy the car will not even drive forwards from a standstill with the light on. If tho I turn off and on the ignition the light goes out and all is ok for 5 mins until the light comes on again...any ideas what this could be? I will be taking it into my local garage as soon as they have time but hoped you could give me some pointers to pass onto them.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 19 at 21:48
Welcome. Smile I'm no expert on 4wd, our Australian members will probably know more but diagnostics will at least tell your garage why the ESP light is on.  I'd guess it's a Haldex coupling problem.  If it came on suddenly you might be lucky and it's an external electrical fault but if it's mechanical and the coupling itself needs to be replaced I'm guessing you are in for a fairly big bill. Ouch
2004 2.5 174
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 19 at 01:15
Hmm, I don't have AWD or ESP on my T5, but my Golf R does.  

As T5 TDI says, looking at error codes may help diagnose the problem.

It does sound like you are loosing rear drive from the haldex once the ESP light comes on, but as it is driving all 4 wheels normally before that happens I think your haldex might be OK (unless the pump is overheating after 5 minutes, but if it works OK again after a quick switch off/on then I think your problem is more likely to be elsewhere).  How long is it since your haldex was serviced with a fluid & filter change ?

I suggest you try to isolate the problem by switching off both traction control and ESP (stability control) if possible.  On my R it is two step process by holding the traction control button down until it switches both.  If that isn't available maybe disconnect the appropriate fuse if you can (but be careful driving as you no longer have the electronic nanny holding your hand).

It's unlikely to be the cause, but seeing as it is very easy to do I'd first check the tyre pressures to make sure one tyre isn't down on pressure (but I would expect a different msg in that case, but with VW you never know).

If I was going to speculate I'd wonder about an ESP specific/related sensor or wiring to a sensor, but I have no evidence to support that theory.

Please keep us informed on how things are going for your T5.

Edited by gregozedobe - 22 Jan 19 at 01:17
 Post Reply Post Reply