The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2004 2.5 T5 No oil light on dash

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GordonC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 19 at 12:44
I'll have a look at that. Still thinking to conect a light to the sensor and see if that works. With your guide it's only a mornings work.

GordonC View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GordonC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 19 at 12:56
Thanks for that will have a look. Still think for the time it would take I might connect an independent light to the sensor.
GordonC View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GordonC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 19 at 12:59
Thames will have a look. Still think for the time it would take I might connect an independent light to the sensor.
GordonC View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GordonC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 19 at 13:00
Thanks.(predicted text!!)
GordonC View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GordonC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 19 at 13:14
Sorry for bombarding you with the same answer a few times. System said I hadn't sent it.....
I've checked that link and had a quick look at it on eBay. Unless I'm mistaken it will only show temp kit oil pressure. I'm thinking whatevers broken would probably stop it reading anyway.
GordonC View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GordonC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 19 at 14:22
So I wired up a light to the old sensor I removed. Positive to one side of the light the other side of the light to the sensor, using the sensor as an earth and the light doesn't come on. It looks like I will have to get a different sensor to make this work. 😒
GordonC View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GordonC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 19 at 14:53
I know I must be boring you too death, sorry. At the price I'm going to try this with a light.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F352212937938
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 19 at 17:00
That one looks like it's going to be a standard normally closed switch.  Perhaps your original switch (unusually) works the other way and that's why your test didn't work.  Anyway, I can't see why it shouldn't work.  Make sure the threads are identical.  It's a tapered thread in aluminium so don't go mad tightening it, but you have already replaced the original of course so you know that. Smile
2004 2.5 174
GordonC View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GordonC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 19 at 17:24
Will do.
GordonC View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GordonC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 19 at 19:43
I didn't spot the tapered thread (pratt) so well spotted. I've changed it for a straight threaded one now . I've had another word with Cartronix and apparently the Ecu spiked for whatever reason and that's what took that particular part of it out. I am none the wiser to be honest, just an old school mechanic.At least my solution should sort it out. I will let you know. Thanks again for your time. If your ever around Southampton area please let me know and I will def buy you a pint.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 19 at 20:17
You might be ok with a parallel thread if you add a copper washer as long as there is a flat surface for the washer to seal against.  Maybe someone else before you did the damage to the dash before you had the van or perhaps earthing the switch wire did it.  That was always the standard quick test years ago but it's possible that the ECU part of the dash didn't like it.

You might be better to buy an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and sensor.  It would be much more use in the real world.  Basic oil pressure switches only cause the light to come on when the oil pressure drops below 7psi (roughly) so by the time you see it under most conditions it's too late to save the crank bearings.  Sometimes you might be lucky if it just flicks on and off and you are sensible enough to investigate straight away.  Good luck anyway, and let us know how you get on. Smile             

Edited by T5 TDI - 30 Jan 19 at 20:18
2004 2.5 174
GordonC View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GordonC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 19 at 20:51
Cheers Gordon
GordonC View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GordonC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 19 at 16:50
Well here I am again.Last time I hope! Changed the switch, ran a cable from the fuse box through a light. Was looking good on tick over light came on, light went off. Buttoned up the job and went for a road test. At about 15mph a great big STOP OIL PRESSURE came up in the centre of the dash. But I knew because of my light that oil pressure was OK. So I refitted the original switch road tested and all ok. By my reckoning if the oil pressure drops that light will come on. When I change the oil in the next couple of weeks I am going to fit an oil pressure gauge on a t piece so that should be that!!! Still non the wiser why the other oil light doesn't work but ar least it's kinda worked out OK. On the bright side I can change that switch in an hour. 😂 😂 😂 "
Thanks again for your time and I hope I didn't bore you too much Cheers Gordon
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 19 at 21:53
Thanks for the update.  Good to know your engine isn't about to self-destruct.

Please come back with another update after you've been running the oil pressure gauge and know for sure what is going on with your oil pressure.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12