The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T3 1984 1.9 Water cooled

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lerryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T3 1984 1.9 Water cooled
    Posted: 08 Jan 19 at 20:24
Hello,

New member and 1st time T3 owner. Apologies in advance for the blurb about to come... We bought the van in the summer. The only issue it has ever had was the oil light flashing after long journeys. No oil loss and research showed it was likely a new oil pressure switch would sort it? It also flew through its not in November, with the tester saying how tidy it was.

But... Lately it's being a bit of a nightmare. Temp gauge barely moving from cold even when engine hot. The other day, there was a bit of steam from the front, checked the expansion tank and it was empty! The main tank on left was full. Rightly or wrongly I topped it back up with correct coolant and it ran fine, did about 15 miles and no steam. Tank stayed full. Tried it today, it was pretty much empty again and there seemed to be a leak of rusty coloured water dripping from left hand side of the rad for a few minutes, then the drips stopped? I have bought some rad seal but not yet put it in. Also at the same time, the main beam headlights work intermittent but side lights, indicators etc are all fine and horn stopped working. I am wondering if damp has got into the electrics? Van became quite damp inside and door cards have gone mouldy due to window seals being shot. No fuses blown and earth crowns look good. In essence of the war n peace story above, you can probably tell I am no mechanic and a bit worried about all the gremlins happening at once. Any help or info will be very gratefully received. We've always wanted one of these vans and would love to and are very willing to learn any tips on how to keep it well maintained. Round up of my mumbling below...

Leak?

Temp gauge not working

Headlights (full and dip not working) neither is horn

Oil light flashes after long journey

Is it safe to use rad seal? If so, can I put it straight in the expansion tank?

Finally, sorry for my lack of knowledge and the million questions.

Many thanks 😊
 Post Reply Post Reply