The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lt 28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FISH35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lt 28
    Posted: 20 Dec 18 at 22:21
 HELLO EVERONEI,m considering purchasing this campervan .She has been stood for 3 years without MOT,Reg is VET152Y original colour pink but is blue now,shes has 92000 on the clock. .the two back skylights are missing .most of the subframe looks and feels sound but will need mig welding around front step up in to drivers position The engine is between the front seats and does start up but exhaust blows and very oily. .has an LPG conversion tank.. The electrics are not the best...have around £3000 to spend on her...I would like to know the what if and maybes of your vast readership as to as much info as poss on this make and model of campervan..
1994LT35MINIBUSCAMP View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1994LT35MINIBUSCAMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 18 at 10:41
Not sure on this van I have a 94 LT35 tin top diesel, what I can say is you probably need to be quite handy with mechanical stuff and you already guessed a MIG or 3 k can be quickly swallowed in labour. Apologies if I'm teaching how to suck eggs. Number plate with VET may be valuable if transferable worth checking out as it may fund a new interior and some parts. Theres a VOLT group on facebook worth checking out as well if you're set up with an account. Hope you go for an LT though they're great vans and have loads of room and pretty easy to work on. All the best Michael
Michael
nooberdoober View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 19 at 12:42
If it's a petrol engine, bare in mind how difficult some engine parts are to come by. I've rebuilt one and managed to source everything but the engine Alone in parts and costs came to well over 3k for a full reconditioning with 90% work done myself.

If it's been converted to Lpg and set up badly it could have caused valve damage.

If it's diesel, engine parts are more readily come by. Lots can be harvested from scrappers.

These engines can leak a bit of oil from the cam cover toward the rear but also rear oil seal, gearbox shaft seal and sump plug can leak. It would be worth finding out where the oils coming from.

Panels are available for all the notorious rust areas.

Windows you'll need to find a scrappers that has one undamaged in stock. Rubber seals are available.
I got me a 2.4 straight Six......and it's a soundin JUICY!

1984 LT40 2.4 petrol Coachbuilt Autotrail Motorhome
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 19 at 11:04
Guessing it's a 4 pot due to age. They are pretty bullet proof but the oil worries me.
Check for oil in the cooling system, if it's the headgasket not too bad to find.
Corrosion is the main enemy, brakes are probably seized and back plates are like rocking horse shit to find. The one I bought was the only one in the UK.
With regard to structure learn to weld asap, jacking points are probably dust by now, as are the inner sills front to back, door bottoms, wheel arches, windscreen bottom etc.
If you do the welding yourself it shouldn't be too expensive, a garage will blow your budget.
Rustoleum is worth looking at from a paint point of view, a pro re-spray will blow your budget for sure.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 19 at 17:04
Brickwerks are carrying a lot more parts nowadays, brake backing plates among them.

The MOT expired in May 2013, so that is six years ;)
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
FISH35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FISH35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 19 at 00:19
hi and thanks ...like the idea of a straight 6 used to play with them when i had an old triumph vitesse and your right the sound is ...well nothing like opening upTongue a straight 6 first thing in the morning to get your juices flowingLOLLOLLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply