The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gearbox nackered?? 130 auto

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregsquad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gearbox nackered?? 130 auto
    Posted: 07 Dec 18 at 12:15
Hi everyone, not had my T5 130 auto shuttle long and soon after, I noticed that 4th gear seemed to be slipping. The other day, it didn’t want to downshift from 5th and I noticed the auto gears on the dash were outlined bold and it did not show which gear it was in ie:- 1st, 2nd etc.
Shortly after this, the engine management light come on!!
Just after any suggestions or info before I take it to a garage.
I love the van and it’s perfect for our family. Just gutted this has happened after only 3months of having it.
Cheers,
Greg
Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 18 at 23:15
most likely will be an expensive/garage fix.
Is there a possibility of warranty fix if it was a dealer buy?
miles? any fluid/filter changes on the auto? The autos are supposedly sealed for life, which is utter BS.
When it is fixed make sure to get regular fluid/filter changes
Google VW T5 auto flaring.

Mine did have flaring on the 2 to 3 change, many years back.Did it maybe 3-4 times.Only happened on light throttle.
Hasn't done it for years now.I have been doing my own oil changes

Recently had my auto fixed for a thumping into Drive issue, at 160K km.With other fixes done not much change from $3500 AU

Edited by Rebuild - 08 Dec 18 at 05:11
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
Gregsquad View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregsquad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 18 at 08:29
Thanks for the reply.
It’s done 190,000 and I bought it private so no warranty!
The service history tells me that filters and oil change was done 5000 miles ago. Going to get it into a garage this week coming.
Cheers
Gregsquad View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregsquad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 19 at 21:03
Hello everyone. So, an update on my problem...
After 9 weeks, I finally got it back. Gearbox has been rebuilt with a new valve body too. 
Wiring loom was changed which was apparently a nightmare. Took them 3 and a half weeks. The starter motor had to be changed too. 
The day after taking it home, the glow plug light and emissions light come on. It feels fine to drive but I now think it’s an injector problem. I’ve noticed that it is smoky as ever. (White smoke)
I will be getting a diagnostics done tomorrow!

Gregsquad View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregsquad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 19 at 14:16
So, I’ve now sorted out the smoke problem!!
I noticed that the boost pipe running from the turbo to the inter cooler was loose.
It was the connection that goes directly into the turbo that was loose. Order a new one from Forge for around £45 and problem solved.
Van runs perfect now
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 19 at 04:03
So, all's right in your t5 world now ?  Thumbs Up
Gregsquad View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregsquad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 19 at 08:39
runs like a dream. Had faults codes cleared and haven’t come back on either. 
The mechanic that fitted the new wiring loom never seemed to notice the loose boost pipe. Angry
Just happy it’s driving well, and good for the summer! 
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 19 at 12:57
Excellent news Big smile
mortT5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mortT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 19 at 21:51
Hi Gregsquad,

Glad to hear you've got the T5 sorted. 

I also had my auto box rebuilt on my 2005 2.5 T5 and which included a complete strip, clean and a new valve block installed. That was about 6 months ago now at 155k miles. You did well to get 190k out of that box! Out of interest, what was the cost of the auto box rebuild work on its own?

Rgds
Mort 

2005 2.5 Auto Multivan (Australian)
Gregsquad View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregsquad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 19 at 22:09
Hi Mort,

Total costing was around £4300 they also changed the MAF, starter motor, oil change and filter, gaskets, new valve chest. 

Further to all of this, I changed the intercooler too. Which I done after I changed the boost pipe. 

Greg
Gregsquad View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregsquad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 19 at 22:57
pretty sure I’ve been seen off with costing of parts and labour. It ended up being at the garage for around 10weeks altogether. 

mortT5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mortT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 19 at 10:20
Gday Greg,
Thks for getting back on this. I left my T5 for corrective while on holiday so 3 week turnaround to fix in total but bill was £3700 cash which would suggest you did ok price wise? I was just glad to get the *wat fixed as it'd been trying to break for 18 months. Its like new now but as has been mentioned on here by numerous....I now have a myriad of other issues to get on to. When anyone mentions 'vw' and 'quality' in the same sentence I just have to get into them because it is far from that.

Take it easy
Mort
Gregsquad View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregsquad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 19 at 10:47
yeah, all I can say is that I’ve learn’t a hell of a lot on here about self help. 
The battery has died on me now. 
I still love driving the thing though and the amount of space to fit all of the kids and dog in is great. 

Gregsquad View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregsquad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 19 at 10:49
yeah I suppose price sounds ok, considering it had a few other bits done. 
I think with most cars/vans, high mileage and Over 10yrs old there’s gonna be issues
mortT5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mortT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 19 at 12:22
yes...it's a poison challis really as once you've had one for a while there's not a lot that can do what they do, unfortunately....kids, pushbikes, tip runs, motorcycles, camping....it's a fair old list. It was my disabled son's wheelchair equipped vehicle for 10 years, sponsored by an insurance company and they got mullered at about 8 years (110k miles) with steering rack, power steering pump, camshaft and followers, manifold and other bits on AC and ventilation...about 8 grand in 3 months. I'd have set fire to it if I'd had to contend with all that. It's ok doing the stuff ourselves but at times you just can't face it. 

I hope you have some respite from the financial trauma after the new battery goes in.

Gregsquad View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregsquad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 19 at 12:58
bloody hell. 

Cheers 🍻 

And you! 
 Post Reply Post Reply