The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gear lever help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gear lever help
    Posted: 27 Nov 18 at 13:57
Hi All

I'm struggling to work out how to sort this gear lever mechanism. Ive installed an AGG engine, having never driven the van before so I cannot comment on how well or badly it performed in the past.

* The lever movement is horrendous, I would be killing a passenger on every shift with the amount of throw.

* There is no "gate" pattern it just seems to be a stirring mess of pot luck

* The lever springs about all over the place, it has about as much movement upwards as it does downwards

* It appears I have a "quick-shift" plate installed (as mentioned in the for sale add for the van).
This seems to lift the mechanism upwards, I assume I need to adjust the collar part to bring the fork back down? In doing so, it seems to remove all tension from the spring.

- For the record I have just overhauled the rear mechanism so my eyes are primarily focused on this lot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

retroloz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retroloz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 18 at 16:56
Hi there, your actcual gear lever needs to come down about and inch, those 2 bits of plastic on the end of the fork should engage on those little lugs (in your photo). undo the set screw on the ring around your gear lever and adjust it down but not to far or else it will rub.
All done from inside the cab. this should line your selector up a bit better.
Sounds like you got the short shift spacer but the actuall adjustment of the lever hasnt been made.

Anyway I hope this helps =)
1983 mk1 Golf
1988 VW T3 GTI
2002 VW Golf MK4
http://retroloz.blogspot.co.uk/
 Post Reply Post Reply