The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

starting trouble

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: starting trouble
    Posted: 16 Sep 18 at 07:42
Hello....any advice would be much appreciated.. 

My LT28 2.4 Diesel has in the past 3 months begun to have trouble starting.
  I turn the key and wait for glow plug light with no problem. Then when light goes out and I turn the key further there is no ignition but a strange sound that I could only define as part whir / part clattering at very rapid speed. On second attempt to start I get full ignition each time.

At first I thought it was happening when the van had been not driven for a few days or longer but it begun to happen more frequently. I replaced the battery last year so that is fairly new still.

I had the starter motor replaced in early August and for several weeks after there was no problem but it has begun to happen again

In the hope if I provide further information, one of you may be able to help me...the van has also been having fuse box problems for a number of years. I think due to water at times having got to the inside of the cab

Sometimes, especially in winter months, when I turn the key on  it heats up to the point I can smell smoke or the bleeping sound emitted upon start up sounds more like . dying duck. 

I don't know if the 2 problems are linked. 

Could it be the glow plug relay? I also have not had the glow plugs replaced for 10 years?  any help would be great thanks.
Cheers Tim
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 18 at 12:44
With the fuse box issue I'd check the voltage at the glow plugs first and the earth cables.
You also need to find out which part of the wiring is getting too hot, something is shorting out and it could be the glow plugs.
Download the workshop manuals for a wiring diagram.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 18 at 07:41
It sounds like the starter motor to me again. It could be the connections to it rather than the motor and that they are not allowing enough current to spin the starter.......either that or the new starter has s#it itself again?!........

Did you have the flywheel teeth checked and do they have a starter motor bush? cant remember so that could be worn too.......
1985 LT40 2.4TD Coach built Pioneer Diamond
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
byroad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote byroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 18 at 13:54
check battery leads for tightness
old truckers don't die, they get a camper!
Mitchell View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 18 at 15:47
Thank you all for your advice. I will take onboard all of your ideas.

At present I have my van parked up in a garage in northern Portugal so wont be able to get to it until the first week of October.

I will take your ideas to the mechanic who usually works on it....only problem is my portuguese is rubbish so a whole lot gets lost in translation and google translate is still far from perfecto.

In reply to the replacement starter motor possibly being rubbish...I guess it could be as it was a second hand replacement part. I will get mechanic to look into it.

Thanks all I will update you when I get back.
Cheers
Tim

SteveSt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveSt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 18 at 21:17
There's a possibility it could be the earth strap contact corrosion - either where it bolts to the engine or the chassis OR BOTH. To check it out - get a proper jump lead, find a clean bolt on the block and connect direct to the negative terminal on the battery. turn the key and see what happens...
Good luck

LT31 1991 2.4 TD Florida Westphalia • Honda ST1100 • Ford Tourneo Connect
Mitchell View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 18 at 07:25
Hello..finally back from Portugal and have had success!

Firstly I wish to thank all of you who posted suggestions so much! Each one of you hit the nail on the head as the van had more than one issue. 

The Mechanic was determined that it was the starter again and was going to dive straight into checking it out and working on that.

However I had taken your ideas and put them into google translate for his understanding.

He began with checking the relay fuse, which he replaced as it was not in good condition. He also replaced the glow plugs, which where long overdue, and checked on the earth strap and had to replace that.

...and now the van is purring along the motorway, climbing hills with power and when starting her up the smoke cloud has gone and now no strange smoke or sounds coming from the fuse box.

I am overjoyed to have my van singing again. My grin has just widened as I drive her now.

Thank you all ever so much!
Tim

byroad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote byroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 18 at 11:14
glad you are back in one bit,rule of thumb check the easy stuff first.hope to get back to portugul soon,ish
old truckers don't die, they get a camper!
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 18 at 18:12
Pleased to help, and welcome to the forum.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Post Reply Post Reply