The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thinking of buying...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thinking of buying...
    Posted: 24 Aug 18 at 13:59
My cousin is selling her T4 camper. It's a 1998 1.9 TD model with ~109,000 miles on it. I've not been to see it yet - anything specific to be aware of when looking it over?
If you are what you eat then I'm fast, cheap and easy
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 18 at 16:59
Cambelt when was it done?
Walrus View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 18 at 18:07
I shall ask, cheers.
Walrus View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 18 at 18:29
She doesn't know. She's had it 5 years but not done many miles (that's why she's selling - not getting much use out of it). What would be a ballpark figure to get it done? I'm not afraid of a spanner but never worked on diesels before, and never done a cam belt change myself (my other cars are petrol and don't have them!).
Walrus View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 18 at 19:53
Ok, it's had a recon engine fitted at 105,000 miles - the cam belt was done then.
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 18 at 19:55
That's a big plus.
Walrus View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 18 at 18:36
The van I want to buy was/is on the proviso that it passed it's MoT. It failed. The failure is:

Offside Front Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength rear of offside front wheel arch corroded within prescribed area.

I viewed it once, it drives well and has had a recon engine 4000 miles ago. I can't see the vehicle again (it's a hundred miles away) - is this so bad that I should pass this over and look elsewhere? Any idea's on what it might cost to fix?

Edited by Walrus - 12 Sep 18 at 18:37
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 18 at 00:30
If you're getting it at a good price and that's the only failure item and the rest of the van is in good condition I personally wouldn't worry too much, I'd have thought you should be able to get that plated/welded for inside of £100, I've just had the inside of the wheelarch/bulkhead on my discovery TD5 plated for MOT for £80 for the same sort of reason, (excessive corrosion within the mounting area of the brake servo).                              
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
Walrus View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 18 at 00:58
Phew. The MoT report makes it sound a lot worse...!
 Post Reply Post Reply