The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coil light flashing !!! Witts end

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 19 at 19:02
You don't say what van you have Paul, there are huge differences that can make a perfectly good reply for one van meaningless for another.  If your van is an early one it will have no engine management light so the glow plug light doubles for it.  You need to get a full scan of everything on the van (not just the engine fault codes) as a good start point.  Something as simple and cheap as a brake light switch can cause the glow plug light to come on for instance.  
2004 2.5 174
Paul18765 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul18765 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 19 at 19:08
Hi, it’s a 2011 2l diesel, CAA engine . Done a full scan, no other codes.
Paul18765 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul18765 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 19 at 19:10
Just the same original p261a00 coolant pump b open circuit.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 19 at 21:12
When the pumps fail they can leak into the electrics.  You may have fixed the problem with the new pump but if it blew the fuse as well, that could be what it is.  That one will probably be one of the fuses down by the battery.  

The pump has a connection to the ECU so make sure you know what you are probing when testing around the wires.  The ECU itself could cause it but better to find a wiring diagram and confirm that the wiring is ok before spending any big money.  As far as I know the ECU controls the pump and can switch it on for several reasons ie if the engine needs extra cooling in summer (I only ever hear mine on a few boiling hot days in August when I already have the A/C on).  To cool the EGR valve and to even the cooling of the head after switch off to prevent any hot spots although I have never heard mine do this.  

You probably won't hear your pump like I can on my old '04 on the rare times it comes on.  Later vans had the pump isolated on a piece of rubber.        

Edited by T5 TDI - 15 Jun 19 at 21:14
2004 2.5 174
Paul18765 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul18765 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 19 at 21:19
Thanks for the reply. I’ve been having another go today. I’ve checked the loom, again, all good, checked the connections and wiring through to the ecu, all good. Ran vcds again, cleared the fault code, test ran the pump through vcds, confirmed it works, again, all good. No “new” warning as yet. Just a bit concerned that I haven’t actually found a problem as yet.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 19 at 22:05
Fingers crossed then! Smile
2004 2.5 174
T5 surfer View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 19 at 11:25
Hi guys im sorry for not getting back sooner
Been without the t5 for a while
But back in it now and problem still persists

So same as before but a bit more info

Van goes into limp mode while driving

Only comes on during starting the van intermittent
Resets if i jump start in van while driving. Ie ignition off, ignition on and lift clutch in gear.

Also after 3 times the eml comes on but will reset on the 3rd trio of driving then fault wont come until maybe a few weeks again its its  intermittent.

Never happens while driving only strarting.

gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 19 at 08:10
I hate intermittent problems, they're such a pain to diagnose and fix :(
T5 surfer View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 19 at 12:53
Does the pump run all the time?

Thinking of running another supply to the oump to see if that cures the fault.
Paul18765 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul18765 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 19 at 12:58
Hi All, thanks for the replies, just a quick update. May have cured it..... after talking to a few mechanics I was advised to ditch the after market pump and replace it with a genuine VW one, leave it disconnected, clear the fault code and reconnect. Done all that and haven’t seen a warning light since!!!!
T5 surfer View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 19 at 10:36
Ah ok, mine was a pierburg but still had faults and i changed it to a genuine vw one and im still getting the fault open circuit.

So if i dissconect, clear faults and reconnect that should work

Ill try that 
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 19 at 19:07
Originally posted by Paul18765 Paul18765 wrote:

I was advised to ditch the after market pump and replace it with a genuine VW one, leave it disconnected, clear the fault code and reconnect. Done all that and haven’t seen a warning light since!!!!

That's odd.  Normally pulling wires off things causes an open circuit code.  It should come straight back if you clear it with the wires off. Confused  
2004 2.5 174
Paul18765 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul18765 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 19 at 19:29
That’s what I though, however I followed the guys instructions and sure enough, it worked..... at least for a few hundred miles. It’s since poppped up a couple of times, immediately gone off and not reappeared for another coupe of hundred miles. I’m currently in Slovenia, having driven from Rotterdam, not a single flash...... again, fingers crossed.
T5 surfer View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 19 at 13:36
im beggining to winder now if this is anything to do with my remap?

I would like to know if the pump is on permanent as i could add another live to it, just to prove the pump is working and rule out any connection problems.

How do i gain access to the ecu? And to the wiring of the pump over the starter motor? 
Paul18765 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul18765 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 19 at 23:32
Hi, the pump is not wired to run permanently, it’ll run when the ecu calls for it only, usually when it’s really hot and the engine is turned off.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 19 at 12:19
I'm with Paul Thumbs Up except for that I know my pump can run when the engine is running.  The reason I know this is that in around '05, a Workshop Campaign was issued for for customers who complained of noisy secondary coolant pumps.  The fix was fairly basic, just a small rubber strip to isolate the pump from the body.  I never bothered with mine because I quite like to know it if it comes on.  I have only ever heard it come on briefly on very hot days, in traffic, when maybe a little extra cooling is needed.

I wouldn't add current to any part of the pump whilst it's connected unless you have a wiring diagram. If you make a mistake you could wreck the ECU.  Bear in mind that sometimes the ECU provides an earth rather than a live feed to switch a component and that the pump may have a ignition switched 12v supply too and/or even a 5v reference voltage which is another reason to be very careful probing/shorting/powering anything without being absolutely certain what it is.

The ECU is under the battery by the E-box (which is a big junction of connectors) you might have to take the E-box lid off, I can't remember.

Mine is an '04 so the design might change over the years. 
2004 2.5 174
T5 surfer View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 19 at 21:10
thanks, a very good point indeed, not just a simple on off circuit then, i will refrain from any wiring modifications.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 19 at 22:21
It certainly is an odd one.  (Or two since you both have similar problems) I wouldn't have thought that any genuine fault with the secondary coolant pump would have led to a engine management light being on.  Half of the pumps on older model vans have fallen to bits long ago and aren't working. The first thing most people know is when they notice coolant drips underneath or someone else working on the van spots corroded wires hanging down.  

I haven't had much to do with the new model but I know EGR problems have been very common.  I wonder if the secondary coolant pump feeds the EGR cooler on the CR engined models.  From pics I have seen online, the electrical part of the EGR valve gets badly corroded with these EGR failures and this could lead to the EML light coming on and limp home if the ECU gets mixed messages from the corroded wiring.  If you haven't already had a new EGR valve, read all the (endless!) threads on them via google and be sure yours is working properly.  Smile

2004 2.5 174
Paul18765 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul18765 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 19 at 23:27
Thanks again, yes will do. I’m driving home in a couple of days, Dubrovnik to uk, about 1200 miles, over 4 days, we’ll see what happens, I’ll do a bit more work on it , if/when I get it home. I’ll keep you posted.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 19 at 09:23
Have a good journey! Smile   I was thinking of doing a big European trip with mine last month, but some recent serious health issues have put that on the back burner for now.  I'm quite glad now I didn't go because I would have ended up in French hospital in a big heat wave.

You could try making a few VCDS logs while you are a captive in the cab. If the limp home happens while it's hooked up you might be able to work out the cause.  If you do fancy having a go, make sure to get EGR, boost, RPM, and throttle opening (load shown in percent) logged together.   
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>