The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coil light flashing !!! Witts end

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coil light flashing !!! Witts end
    Posted: 08 Aug 18 at 17:17
Hi guys
Newbie here hope someone can help
T5.1 2013 102

Long story short...
Coil light flashing so fit new egr valve

Coil still flashing.. open circuit in water pump.
Changed both water pumps genuine

Coil now still flashing limp mode

Coil flashes during start up 80% of the time but if i put ignition off while driving and jump start it the coil ligjt will go off.

Also noticed that sometimes the vacum to the egr diagraphram is sometimes up and this gives the coil light flash
Agsin sometimes it will be in the right state and it will still give coil light flash
During coil light flash it will always be limp mode till i put ignition off and bump start it.

Van has a celtic remap and has been fine for about 18months

Any help greatly appreceated as i really am going to throw the towel in...
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 18 at 23:12
Hi T5,  It's all getting a bit muddled.  Do you have access to VCDS?   If so, clear any codes you have (save them somewhere first). Then drive the van until the coil light is flashing again.  Using VCDS go to 'Autoscan' and it will look through all the various systems on the van for faults.  This will take a few minutes.  Save the scan results and post them here.  

I'm not familiar with the 2.0 CR engines but perhaps you have a fault with the vacuum pump or a split vacuum pipe or even wrongly connected pipes to the new EGR valve.  Did you use a genuine EGR valve?     
2004 2.5 174
T5 surfer View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 18 at 23:51
Thanks for the reply
Just been on the vcds now and its again showing coolant pump 2 open circuit fault.
Ive had a new pump fitted genuine vw and also had the wiring checked and that was ok.
Im thinking maybe its a relay fault.

Where is the coolant pump 2 relay? Anyone know?
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 18 at 09:18
I've read a post by Matertech where he says the wiring can chafe and short near the starter motor.  Have a really close look at the loom especially if it is touching the starter.  Sometimes just a small rub mark on the outside of a loom is all it takes for a short.  Your code says 'open circuit' not 'short' but that can be caused if the fuse blows as the result of a short, so check all of the fuses, including under the bonnet by the battery where you should also find the relay (if it has one). 

2004 2.5 174
T5 surfer View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 18 at 09:48
Ive had all the wiring checked and all is ok, the mechanic knew about the wiring chaffing over the starter so checked it all they way back to the ecu.
The fuse is ok and i ran the coolant pump under vcds and it ran with no problems
The fault is intermittent that makes it really hard to find
Im thinking now if there is a rellay somewhere for it?
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 18 at 10:53
If there is a relay it should be under the fuse box under the bonnet.  Have you seen this? https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1514081
2004 2.5 174
T5 surfer View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 18 at 16:08
Yes had a good read through that post and checked my wires
But i think would be a good idea to check them again
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 18 at 22:19
If there are no performance issues, just pull the bulb.
That way you can take all the time you need to diagnose.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 18 at 00:01
Here's a completely left field suggestion:

Could it be your brake light switch ?  These are a common problem with VWs and can cause lots of weird errors.  Check your brake lights come on when they should and go off when they should.  If in doubt, replace (IIRC They are not very expensive).
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 18 at 09:09
If you have VCDS you can check the brake light switch in the engine controller by going to measuring blocks (live data) and looking at the cruise control functions.  You should find the brake pedal monitoring there.

Andy- You can't pull a dash bulb these days- All soldered in LEDs!  That won't cure the limp home, only fixing the fault will do that.    
2004 2.5 174
T5 surfer View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 18 at 11:46
Thanks for the help guys
Ive plugged in vcds and its still the same fault,
Coolant pump 2 open circuit.
Ive checked brake lights all work ok

Anyone know where the relay is for the coolant pump 2
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 18 at 12:59
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

If there is a relay it should be under the fuse box under the bonnet.  
2004 2.5 174
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 18 at 13:18
Is this any good?. Relays are 7.2 and 8.1 at the bottom if you can't read the text.

7.2 Additional coolant pump relay -J496- (449)
8.1 Coolant shut-off valve relay -J541- (449)

Edited by AndyT - 10 Aug 18 at 13:25
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

T5 surfer View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 18 at 00:13
Hi matey
that's absolutely perfect just what I was looking forClap
im unable to zoom on the picture though
have you got a larger image Smile

I cant quite make it out, are they in the engine bay under the battery?
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 18 at 01:32
Just says in the engine bay.
Had to shrink the image to be able to post it and didn't keep the original, but....

If you find the plate with the vin, engine & gearbox codes, take a pic and email me (in profile).
I can then do an exact search in elsawin, and send the results back to you.

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 18 at 10:47
Originally posted by T5 surfer T5 surfer wrote:

I cant quite make it out, are they in the engine bay under the battery?

Yes I think they are in the E-box under the battery.
2004 2.5 174
Paul18765 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul18765 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 19 at 21:22
Hi, did you ever get to the bottom of this, I’ve got exactly the same problem.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 19 at 02:27
Originally posted by Paul18765 Paul18765 wrote:

Hi, did you ever get to the bottom of this, I’ve got exactly the same problem.

Could be a DPF problem ?

T5 surfer hasn't been on here for ages, so I don't think you'll get a reply from them:

Edited by gregozedobe - 15 Jun 19 at 02:28
Paul18765 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul18765 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 19 at 07:29
Wouldn’t that be shown with the dpf warning light? Why would the coolant pump error code show?
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 19 at 12:23
A friend ran over a wombat which took out a DPF sensor, he tells me the "coil light" came on (and limp mode if he's remembering correctly - it was a few years ago).

VW's can show all sorts of weird (and un-related) error codes when things go wrong.  Worst is if the voltage regulator allows too high a voltage, everything goes crazy.

Diagnosing vehicle problems on-line is a very imprecise science, and even more so when you are getting free advice from random internet denizens .....

Edited by gregozedobe - 15 Jun 19 at 12:24
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>