The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VW LT35 gears

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulypj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VW LT35 gears
    Posted: 25 Jun 18 at 10:25

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone else has issues getting into reverse gear or first gear?
I have the 2.4 diesel engine (1989 van)

The other gears are fine but it is a struggle to get into 1st and reverse.
Also its a pig to get out of reverse gear too!

Any help/advice appreciated!!

Paul
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 18 at 12:22
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/replacing-gearshift-balls_topic81230.html

Use the Advanced Search facility under the banner to the top rightThumbs Up
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
paulypj View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulypj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 18 at 12:38
Thanks for that.

Soz for being lazy Wink

Is this an easy job to do would you say?
I've ordered the ball...
does anyone have an up-to-date set of links for all the parts likely to need replacing please?
A lot of the posts on the subject are old...

Also, does anyone know a rough estimate on how much you would pay a garage to do the job? 
(knowing whats involved)

Thanks for your help :)

Edited by paulypj - 25 Jun 18 at 19:14
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 18 at 12:12
The longitudinal shaft has two nylon bushes which are available from Brickwerks.
You should get two PU balls; one for the front and one at the shift turret on the gearbox.

?Have you read my account?
It is a little awkward in places but it depends how proficient you are, and what facilities you have.

I did not mean to take a dig at you, but this is not FaceAche, searching the vast archive of knowledge is considerably easier here, and you do not have to filter out the rubbish, well not very often. 
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
paulypj View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulypj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 18 at 12:35
I totally understand, I have found some good images of the gear linkages using the search now so thank you.

I have done work on a T2 bay and 1303 beetles in the past, some basic welding and things like changing over an alternator and setting the tappets etc.
Nothing too complicated tho.

I will source the required parts and maybe it be best for me to mention at the garage on saturday (the van is booked in for its first MOT in our hands - only had the LT for a few weeks).
If it would be a straight forward job for a garage to check the bushes and PU balls and change where necessary then this might be the better option.
I am guessing that if folks have done this themselves at home on the drive then it should be a fairly quick job for a garage with all their kit?

Again thanks for your help and I will update soon
paulypj View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulypj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 18 at 13:42
also
this link is VERY handy (half way down).

Really good info and images, just what I was after :)

&

paulypj View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulypj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 18 at 12:50
Can anyone tell me, if the clutch is causing the problem of getting into 1st and reverse gears, would the clutch pedal have ‘no free play’ or ‘too much free play’??

Thanks

Paul.
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 18 at 15:52
Could be mate but there is also a known issue with the gear linkages.
Wait a while and the guys who have been there will get back to you.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

paulypj View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulypj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 18 at 19:18
I have had the main long shift rod off the vehicle. All bushes were intact and looking pretty good!
The ball at the gearbox side (short gear arm) was in good condition. It was a black type so maybe original?

Also, regarding this gear arm, I operated it by hand and got into all 6 gears no problem, same resistance etc etc so would that infer that the gearbox is fine??

Everything looked good so I replaced the boots and greased everything before refitting.

Now I just need some advice on how to get the gear lever short arm at the front into the correct position so the gearstick can find all the gears!
It is taking me ages and I am nowhere near!

Any help would be great! Thx
Smile

Edited by paulypj - 01 Jul 18 at 19:56
paulypj View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulypj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 18 at 18:18
Ive documented my progress

I still need help setting up the clamp in the right position.
And answers to my gearbox operating questions :)

thx

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 18 at 20:09
Download the Haynes manual, might be covered in there.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

tellytubby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tellytubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 18 at 23:18
If the linkage appears ok and symptoms persist after replacing the bushings then you may have clutch drag i.e. the clutch is sticking on a little which makes it difficult to engage a gear when stationary. Usually this would evidence as too much free play indicating wear on the clutch operating arm, release bearing or pressure plate.

Try this when you cant  get 1st. 

handbrake on - switch engine off - engage 1st - clutch down - start engine.  If starts or cranks slower than normal you may have clutch drag.

paulypj View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulypj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 18 at 09:22
That’s a good reply! Nice I will try that if the set up of the control arm doesn’t solve anything!

My clutch pedal seems to have hardly any free play.
I remember my old 1303 beetle having 20mm free play so kinda know what I’m feeling for but this clutch on the LT has about 2mm free play yet the bite point is half way up the pedal movement.
paulypj View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulypj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 18 at 09:24
also , I hope my videos help others so feel free to share!

I also started a blog which covers the recent work, might be helpful for others.

thx

Edited by paulypj - 08 Jul 18 at 22:21
 Post Reply Post Reply