The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Water tank drain valve

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IndigoSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water tank drain valve
    Posted: 21 Jun 18 at 17:32
HI All

I have just acquired a Sven Hedin 1987. 

The in built water tank under the rear bench seats has a red knob on top that leads to what I assume is a drain valve.

My rod has lost its lugs so doesn't do anything.

Anyone know where I can get a replacement? Or what are the alternative mods are there?

Also is this the only way to drain the water tank

Steve
Serge View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 18 at 09:04
I had a similar problem on my Florida when the brass rod snapped in two at the point where the pin goes through it, inside the valve body.
The whole assembly can be removed from under the vehicle, there is a hole in the floorpan to allow the unit to be unscrewed however I had to enlarge this a bit to allow a socket to fit on the retaining nut.
When you have the valve assembly out it can be dismantled quite easily and repairs made as necessary.
Good luck! Smile
1990 LT28 Westfalia Florida 2.4TD + Reliant Scimitar GTC + Mk 4 Mondeo + Triumph Trident Sprint 900 + Honda 550/4
http://www.sergeantsmess.co.uk/
IndigoSteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IndigoSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 18 at 11:02
Thanks Serge - what did you do for a replacement rod?
Serge View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 18 at 14:07
1990 LT28 Westfalia Florida 2.4TD + Reliant Scimitar GTC + Mk 4 Mondeo + Triumph Trident Sprint 900 + Honda 550/4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IndigoSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 18 at 16:15
Great - thanks - forgive the questions but what did you do for the lugs on the end that turn the valve?
Serge View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 18 at 16:40
If I remember correctly I think there is a pin through the bottom of the rod that locate in ‘cut outs’ or holes in the valve itself, I just drilled the rod and used the original pin (this was the point it broke off at)
Grind a square on the top of the rod for the turn wheel and job done!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IndigoSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 18 at 17:00
My pin ends have broken off! Thanks for the responses

Serge View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 18 at 09:21
No problem Smile
You're probably better to use a new brass rod as drilling out the old pin will weaken it and increase the risk of it snapping!
 Post Reply Post Reply