The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T3.1.6 td overheating?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julian67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T3.1.6 td overheating?
    Posted: 23 May 18 at 19:59
I have a blinking red light on my temp. Gauge which i think means overheating.the,top up tank is at the correct level but after checking the expansion tank i found it low almost empty. No leaks.fitted new fan belt then.I refilled expansion tank with pink coolant and drove 250 kms with no flashing temp red gauge light. Then it came on again.checked top up tank which was ok but coolant was cold whereas expansion coolant was hot disconnected the small top up hose to expansion tank and blew into it. Not blocked. Any ideas on why this overheating is happening? Coolant is vw approved and recently changed. There is and outer + inner pulley above sump where fan belt attaches. Should fan belt fit on outer or inner bottom pulley? Many thanks
Chops View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 18 at 20:49
You checked the hose but did you check the cap on your hot water tank?  I.e. the blue or black cap?
Pete Westy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Westy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 18 at 21:00
See my post mid April on how it all works
Pete

I've spent so much time under the Atlantic I'm changing my name to Titanic.
mattm123 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattm123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 18 at 22:30
I had exactly the same issue, my overflow tank was fine but the expansion kept dropping, doing all the reading and a bit of panicking I eventually checked the blue cap on the premise that if the expansion tank isn't holding pressure then the coolant is basically boiling off and is then not drawn back.

Anyhow with the blue cap i could just, if I squeezed my butt cheeks together, suck at through it. so I figured this was maybe enough to cause the problem.

1 new £5 cap and for good measure £2 for a new length of hose to go between the cap and the overflow from brickwerks and problem solved/panic over
julian67 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julian67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 18 at 10:09
Hi Matt and others,

Many thanks. I took off the blue cap and cleaned it. No tensing them glutes needed now! Will replace the blue cap on my return.
Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply