The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What jack do you carry?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brownyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What jack do you carry?
    Posted: 15 May 18 at 20:55
What jack do you guys carry in the van? There has to be a better option than the trolley jack I lug around.
Monster LT View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 18 at 22:13
What LT do you have? The Mk1 came with what looks a bit like a farm / pillar jack. If you need one you can probably pick one up from an auction site. Seen a few for sale. Otherwise a good bottle jack is useful to carry too - saves space.
LT45-TD-ACL-intercooler-4x4-1993
tellytubby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tellytubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 18 at 22:37
Large 3 ton trolley jack.  Takes a bit of space but beats the crap out of everything else for lifting.
robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 18 at 08:19
I don't carry one unless I'm going on a long trip. to take a substantial Jack and breaking bar is a ball ache so I have good breakdown cover............

No doubt this may change when I get a puncture and have to wait for hours to come and change my wheel......
1985 LT40 2.4TD Coach built Pioneer Diamond
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 18 at 12:06
I have farm jack with an adapter for out and about, and a 3t trolley jack for home.

1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Brownyboy View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brownyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 18 at 20:32
Think I may have to get a pillar jack as it’s a 1990 LT28. Is it a home made adapter you use with it?

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 18 at 10:50
Here is a LT28 jack for sale. Original type.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-VW-jack-for-LT-28-31-bus-van-transporter-283011031A-VW-logo-OZO/323258995500?hash=item4b43bcd32c:g:p00AAOSwRyRa8azy

The LT handbook and also Haynes show you mounting points.

Of course there are other options for jacking these up. A decent brand, over rated weight hydraulic bottlejack is probably smallest and easiest to use and carry (in my opinion).
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 18 at 12:26

My first bit of arc welding, so a bit ropey but the important bits are very secure. I have only needed it once or twice since the trolley jack comes out most of the time.
The tube is 35dia LeMans stanchion.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
nooberdoober View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 18 at 21:24
I had the ADC come and jack me up somewhere on the autobahn south of hamburg  a few years back, the week after my lpg conversion. I'd been driving like a twat on an egg shaped tyre when suddenly I heard a nasty pop on my front wheel and a luckily not so rapid deflation that allowed me to get into a truck park. No truckers had a jack to help me with and when the ADC dude turned up even his massive trolley jack struggled to hold me up while I changed the wheel. 

I now always carry a great big 3 ton trolley jack in the back of my wagon.
I got me a 2.4 straight Six......and it's a soundin JUICY!

1984 LT40 2.4 petrol Coachbuilt Autotrail Motorhome
Buss Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 18 at 10:45
Originally posted by nooberdoober nooberdoober wrote:

I had the ADC come and jack me up somewhere on the autobahn south of hamburg  a few years back, the week after my lpg conversion. I'd been driving like a twat on an egg shaped tyre when suddenly I heard a nasty pop on my front wheel and a luckily not so rapid deflation that allowed me to get into a truck park. No truckers had a jack to help me with and when the ADC dude turned up even his massive trolley jack struggled to hold me up while I changed the wheel. 

I now always carry a great big 3 ton trolley jack in the back of my wagon.

Are you shure it was the ADC and not ADAC? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADAC
2 years ago we where to see a stage of Tour du France and trying to park at the side of the road the bellhousing on the rearaxel touched the ground and we lost traction on one of the Wheels, so we where stuck. With the help of the original Jack that the Karmann came with, we where able to lift the camper, put some stones under the Wheel and get out of the situation. I wouldn't have been able to use a botle Jack in that situation.
87 Karmann LT L 2,4D. 89 T3 Syncro Reimo 1,9TD. 2000 T4 Caravelle TDI
nooberdoober View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 18 at 10:53
Ja I'm Shure! I was where!
I got me a 2.4 straight Six......and it's a soundin JUICY!

1984 LT40 2.4 petrol Coachbuilt Autotrail Motorhome
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 18 at 00:58
Clarke CTJ3000QL, high lift 3 ton.
Personally I would never use a bottle jack on an LT or 4x4.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 18 at 22:03
Originally posted by AndyT AndyT wrote:

Clarke CTJ3000QL, high lift 3 ton.
Personally I would never use a bottle jack on an LT or 4x4.

Why not Andy? Bad experience? Mk1 LT 4x4's came with non-hydraulic 'bottle' jacks. Mk2 LT's - bottle jack again non hydraulic. Crafters / Sprinters and later LT's come with hydraulic bottle jacks.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-VW-Jack-NOS-VW-Lt-4X4-291011031K/132502789224?epid=15014814872&hash=item1ed9c81c68:g:JJ4AAOSwXtNagach

Edited by Monster LT - 21 May 18 at 22:07
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 18 at 22:56
Quite simple on anything other than a perfectly flat surface they are unstable.
Even a lorry going past when you are on the hard shoulder can cause them to fall over.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Post Reply Post Reply