FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tail lights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tail lights
    Posted: 04 May 18 at 17:26
I have a vague idea that you are supposed to get a special control box for T5s if you want to connect trailers/caravans to the T5 electrics (and IRRC said box is quite expensive).  But my memory on this is very hazy as I never paid much attention ( I bought my T5 as a camper specifically so I wouldn't have to tow anything).

One thing that might be worth trying is to replace the globes in your caravan with LEDS which will use much less current to run.  This might not overload your T5 circuit.
TJlewes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJlewes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 18 at 09:58
Hi, I wonder if anyone may have a solution for this particular problem.

I have a T5 2.0 dti 2010,  which I use to tow a caravan (best of both worlds). When I connect the caravan via a 7 pin to 12 pin converter and switch the lights on, the tail lights on caravan come on briefly and then the OS on caravan will go out followed seconds later by the NS.. This also affects the lights on the VW. If I disconnect the caravan the VW tail lights remain not working until I switch off the ignition, remove the key. Leave for a couple of minutes and then all is well again

If i connect a standard trailer board to the VW it works just fine without problem. However, the trailer board has just two 12v/5w bulbs whereas the caravan has two tail lights to high level tail lights and four front marker lights plus a number plate light. My thoughts are that the load is too great for the van. Has anyone experienced this before? do you know of a remedy?
Im a new member here and would appreciate any help from members,
Tony
 Post Reply Post Reply