The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New member saying hello

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SebB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member saying hello
    Posted: 04 May 18 at 02:36
Hey guys!

Found the forum by chance off a FB thread actually. 

Been using Brickwerks to keep our bus on the road for a while now. I'm of the younger generation but absolutely love our camper. Ive recently started learning mechanics which i use to keep my other motor on the road, but our van is plagued with problems which i am determined to iron out so we can use her again properly. (without the fear of that heavy AA card in the pocket).

So thanks to anyone if I have messaged you through FB before. Next weeks Job is to get the thermostat changed as still having cooling issues but after a new head, water pump, pipes and what feels like everything else. Who knows... Just want to be able to use her again!

And for anyone else this is our van; Evita! Has a 1.6TD JX engine! 
Been in the family since mile 1 on the clock and 300,000 and 5 engines later she is still with the same family.  Smile Looking a little tired but once the mechanics are sorted i can then put a bit of love back to the bodywork :) 

Whilst you are here anyone point me in the right direction for a manual for this car? There are a few Haynes manuals out there and want to make sure get the right one for this engine.
Thanks guys

Seb

Edited by SebB - 04 May 18 at 02:41
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 18 at 07:34
Welcome. Coolant issues sound a pain. On JX though there shouldn’t be much to go wrong. There’s a lot to said for a new radiator. They loose a lot of efficiency over the years.
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 18 at 10:31
There isn't a specific Haynes for the JX engine - my understanding is that they're all for petrol engined variants, and while Bentley has some diesel information it is only for the N/A versions that were sold in the US.

Just Kampers publish a service manual for JX engined vans which is a reprint of an older Peter Russek book.

Or there's a couple of VW service manuals for the JX that you can use alongside a Bentley / Haynes to cover everything - drop me a PM and I'll forward you a download link for these.

Edited by clift_d - 04 May 18 at 10:32
1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker syncro
SebB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SebB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 18 at 11:35
Originally posted by ob1 ob1 wrote:

Welcome. Coolant issues sound a pain. On JX though there shouldn’t be much to go wrong. There’s a lot to said for a new radiator. They loose a lot of efficiency over the years.

We have had a new radiator I think, if not ill look into purchasing a new one, as I read around earlier ill find one of the later radiators with the fan switch in a different place, thank you!
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 18 at 06:17
hey sebB! just a quick one thermostat goes in small end facing up! sounds daft but ive just replaced a dead diesel motor due to this. admittedly its been round several run of the mill garages for various work then it got to me! check stupid things like fan switches and fuses - if the fan doesnt work it wont help with cooling... good luck

UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
 Post Reply Post Reply