The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JX hairline crack on piston

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 18 at 02:03
Went for another drive today, engine seems nice.  Started on the button cold for the first time which was nice Big smile

However I'm getting a slight clunking noise from the rear now, most noticeable when changing up gears.  Also happens when sharply accelerating/decelerating.  Last time I heard that clunk I replaced all CV's and it went away but that was only 10k miles ago!

The engine mounts are new and gearbox mount replaced recently too.  Checked all the nuts and bolts, all looks tight.

No noticeable play in the driveshafts, but I'm going to re-pack the CVs with more grease to see if that helps.

Anything else I should be looking at?

'90 T3 Bluestar
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 18 at 07:20
Ah that’s good. Don’t think you’d snap the head bolts. It’s a horrible feeling though as they start to stretch.

Especially when you reuse them. Which I don’t. But have done to get home with a cheap cylinder head swap. Reused the gasket as well on that occasion. Went okay for a few more thousand miles before the disintegration of the bottom end finally killed it.
RogerT View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 18 at 10:23
Clunk? I had similar, but on cornering as well. Discovered my offside outer rear suspension mount was starting to let go of the sill, nearside not far behind. Don’t worry, I’m sure it’s not that though for you.
akw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 18 at 23:32
I took apart my CVs, cleaned them up, re-greased.  Not much wear there at all as expected.  One was a little bit stiff if anything.

While I had them out I had a little fiddle with the drive flanges.  There is a little bit of back/forward play.  Is that ok?  No up/down in/out play at all.  Here's a vid:

I checked an old box I have in the shed and it also has a similar amount of play.  I suspect this is probably fine.

Other than that I didn't find anything unusual.  Checked all the mounts are tight, suspension looks fine too.  No noise when cornering.

The cluck is very very minor.  Mostly when shifting from 1st to 2nd.  Passengers don't notice it.  Maybe it's just my paranoia :-). It doesn't bother me as long as it's not a symptom of something bigger.

The new rubber engine mounts seem a little on the soft side, but that's very subjective.

I clocked just under 400 miles so far.  No problems to report Big smile  Heading to Portugal this weekend after the 500 mile service.
'90 T3 Bluestar
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12