The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do You Think Some Parts Are Over-Priced?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do You Think Some Parts Are Over-Priced?
    Posted: 20 Mar 18 at 12:34
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum

Edited by madra - 25 Mar 18 at 20:51
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 18 at 13:32
I can see how the BW parts might cost something in the order of the price quoted, particularly as a limited quantity item, as there's obviously an element of fabrication and assembly involved in their production.

The CVC parts however must only be pence to get made, and even if you allow for the epoxy glue that they include in the kit (which you didn't mention), the price does look a bit steep.

Having said all that, the pictures on both product listings are pretty clear about what you're getting, so its really your decision whether you spend the money - caveat emptor and all that.
1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker syncro
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 18 at 15:57
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum

gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 18 at 02:27
As someone who buys lots of items on-line (over 2,000 so far, I'm a collector), here are my thoughts/opinions.  Make of them what you will ....

When something is sold in very small quantities the cost of design, prototyping and refinement is usually way higher per unit than the actual production costs.  So if something isn't made in big volumes this has to be added to the selling price.

The same applies for anything custom-made compared with a similar item that sells in large numbers.

For posting out stuff the seller needs to factor in the admin time:  processing the order, and retrieving, addressing and placing the product in the packaging.  This can be either direct (as part of the shipping charge) or built into the price of the product, either way it has to be paid.

The customer is the only one who can decide whether a particular item is worth paying the asking price or not, and if you decide it wasn't then a refund is in order (but in this case you may have to pay for postage both ways as the item is not clearly "as described").
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 18 at 14:21
The ones we sell are machined from nylon and custom made.

We've been offered the 3D printed ones and they are, like a lot of 3D printed stuff... crap.

We're not ripping anybody off. Nobody is taking the piss. Small volume production of high quality parts. It's as simple as that. We have a small mark up on the price we're charged by the supplier. Which is how we work on all the things we sell rather than just selling at what we think the market will stand.

Please don't buy them if you feel they are too expensive.

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 18 at 14:32
Originally posted by madra madra wrote:

Seriously? Even if the BrickWerks ones are better quality [they could hardly be worse!], you really think a 16mm square piece of plastic with a metal pin in it costs anywhere near £14 to make [the price for one].

Take away VAT. thats 23.14

If you halve that its 11.57 each.
Our margin on these is among the lowest of any product we sell.

The cost to us includes the cost to manufacture, including a small margin for the manufacturer, their overheads such as insurance, rent, electricity. Delivery. Liability cover... They are not made by some guy in a shed they are produced by a legitimate company who it may surprise you want to stay in business.
Its not a charity.
Of course they could sell them at cost, as could we. And then when they go out of business you'll be stuck with the 3D printed crap. Or you could just make your own.

Edited by Tee3 - 22 Mar 18 at 14:33

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

chrisevans View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 18 at 14:48
I am not sure if you are going to get much sympathy on this. You could always buy Genuine.....oh wait what you want is unobtainable elsewhere. Perhaps you could send BW a message next time with what you are prepared to pay? Simon is a very reasonable guy in my experience.Smile BTW whilst you are here are you prepared to make a donation for using this forum and the knowledge therein. Someone's got to cover the cost of the hosting etc. How much would you say that access to the forum is worth to you?

madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 18 at 16:10

Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 18 at 17:18

It's a tiny piece of square plastic with a pin in it! What's with all the "machined from nylon..", "custom made..." and "high quality parts..." stuff? We're not talking about a complicated component made of quality steel and precision-engineered here.

Considering youve never seen any and have no idea of the cost on them, frankly you have no idea of what they are. Just dont buy them. Theyre not for you.
Just because you dont want to spend what they cost doesnt mean anyone is ripping you off.
Just dont buy them. Simple. 

Well, maybe you should look for a new supplier then. I'm sure there are a hundred firms on Ali Baba who'd knock these out in the the thousands for you, for pennies a time.
Nope. We are happy with the supplier and the quality. We will not compromise for price. Just dont buy them. We dont want to buy thousands. If we did we would pay a few grand for an injection moulding tool. As it is we buy them in the small quantities we need to. We dont need to make them cheaper for you.

I won't. I do.

Everybodies happy then.

Where did I say or suggest otherwise? I'm talking about the prices charged for *some* components being out of order. As I said, I've bought stuff from BrickWerks before [and will likely do again] where I've felt what I was getting was worth the expense [and, as I said originally, I do take engineering costs and limited production numbers into account]. That doesn't mean I'm going to just 'suck it up' because "old van" whenever I see a site [and I mean all of them. not just BrickWerks] extracting the urine.

But as explained, we have a small mark up on an expensive part. How is that taking the piss?
You just want something cheap. You have a photo of what cheap gets you. Just make your own.

1: To quote Tee3: "It's not a charity". BrickWerks don't run this forum because they love you. They run it because it attracts owners of classic VW vans to a website, attached to a shop that sells the classic VW van parts, which they might need while working on those vans. Thus driving traffic to the online shop. Ain't that a handy!

Nope. Wrong. Please dont assume anything about Simons business.
The forum existed long before the business and was set up as a resource for people to access information that wasn't readily available.
The forum is now very much surplus to requirements and in fact only exists for nostalgic reasons. We've spoken about closing it in the past and decided not to, but if it's becoming a platform for people to accuse Simon of "ripping people off" and "taking the piss" I think it's time to rethink.

2: Hosting: Well, I'm not privvy to the traffic stats but I'd say tenner a month tops and you could probably get away with less than that. I don't think it's a very high traffic site. BTW I work in web design and host several sites for clients and run a couple of servers myself. I know exactly what it costs and it's nowhere near what people think [or want you to think] when they mention hosting costs, etc.

Nobody cares about the hosting costs. It's nothing.

3: Donations? Or as I call it "The Jimmy Wales argument". Hmmm... Let me turn that around. How much do you think the people who contribute to this forum should be paid for posting the information they share freely with their fellow brick-yarders? Without the contributions of the forum users, this is just an empty website. Please don't play the "They're doing us a favour letting us use the site" card!

Nobody has ever asked for donations.
When you start slinging accusations at the people who run the forum of "ripping people off" and "taking the piss" though, you'll be put straight.

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

Phantomflanner View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phantomflanner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 18 at 17:19
We buy the same material - nylon rubbing/wear strip - for protecting the rear of 26t vehicles.   Its blummin expensive to say its just nylon strip.   But its hard wearing and does what it says on the tin.  And yes, I am lucky enough to have made my own gear selector wear pads.

As Tee3 says, the guys dont put a huge mark up on stuff. 
Shops generally double the net cost for the retail cost.  People still buy.

With regard to this particular web site, correct me if I am wrong, it was here before the webshop etc... 
?

Bah... AAZ my spotty botty
orcecaveman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orcecaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 18 at 17:35
F**k me Madra you're speshul. You were happy to buy an item that turned up and was clearly junk, but youre gipeing about paying a couple of quid more for an quality item that the seller has had designed, made tried and tested. You need to get a f**king life.

madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 18 at 18:03

clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 18 at 18:18
Calm down fella.

Your t-shirts retail for £17.50 but I can buy a nice t-shirt from M&S for £6. Is your creative development and the printing of your design, plus overheads for the retailer worth £11.50. Maybe, but some grump will surely come along and say that they can get something similar from AliBongo or wherever for pence.

VW no longer make the part so somebody has gone to the trouble of getting the right material, machining and prototyping and developing and testing an aftermarket alternative that's intended to be at least as good as the original, and BW have thought it good enough to stock. You can ignore the legwork that's gone into it but the price you see reflects that back-story. In the end you tried to save a few quid and got your fingers burnt. Lesson learned perhaps.

Edited by clift_d - 22 Mar 18 at 18:42
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 18 at 18:22

KrisG View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrisG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 18 at 18:33
Well, start your business right now, your businessplan is simple, you're going to be rich in no-time..

I hope you can deliver the same quality and fitting...

Kris

Regards,
Kris
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 18 at 18:38
You mentioned the company I work for in a post about ripping people off. You also used our product as an example of a product you believe is overpriced. I explained why it isn't and you continue to insist it is.
You then continue to argue with every single point and despite the fact that you started the post by accusing someone of ripping you off you then choose to get upset when someone makes a personal remark about you. Just deal with it.

Just make your own out of bits of old shoe and cable ties.im sure it will be fine.

We won't be making them any cheaper for you and nor will the manufacturer. I can't make it any clearer.

Edited by Tee3 - 22 Mar 18 at 18:38

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 18 at 18:39
Originally posted by KrisG KrisG wrote:

Well, start your business right now, your businessplan is simple, you're going to be rich in no-time..

I hope you can deliver the same quality and fitting...

Kris

This.

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 18 at 18:48

Edited by madra - 25 Mar 18 at 20:50
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 18 at 18:49

"slinging" accusations. Nice emotive language there. The only time I used the phrase "ripping off" in my original post was thus:

So, come on retailers. We know you've got to turn a profit but you don't really need to rip people off, to do so!

The title of your post is literally "stop ripping us off" followed by a screenshot of a product with our name on it.

Edited by Tee3 - 22 Mar 18 at 22:05

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 18 at 18:57

I didn't try to save a few quid. I bought the ones from CamperVan Culture as they seemed to match what was already on the van [ie. hollow and fitted over the fork ends as opposed to with a pin that mounts on the side].

The BW ones are also machined to fit over the tips with a pin that punches through the tab once mounted, as per the originals, but it's pretty obvious that you didn't realise this.

Edited by clift_d - 22 Mar 18 at 19:00
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>