The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vw t5 1.9 54 plate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith connor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vw t5 1.9 54 plate
    Posted: 16 Mar 18 at 17:56
Was driving along in town lost power van would not take the throttle stopped van outside my house and now my van will not start no error codes came up.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 18 at 19:10
Does it sound normal on cranking?  If it sounds like it's spinning a bit fast that could be loss of compressions due to cam belt failure.  I think you can easily unclip and lift off the top part of the cam belt cover on the 1.9's.  

One other thing you could check is to see if it will fire if you take the oil filler cap off and crank it over.
2004 2.5 174
Keith connor View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith connor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 18 at 19:35
Yes it does sound a bit fast when turning over and when u take the oil cap off it still dies not fire up
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 18 at 21:03
Take the top half of the cam belt cover off and get someone to crank the engine.  If the belt doesn't move, teeth are definitely stripped.  
2004 2.5 174
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith connor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 18 at 06:49
The timing belt looks ok and moves when turning over would it jumped the timming maybe will I have t9 do a cpmpresson test.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 18 at 08:55
It could have jumped.  Try and see if it still feels tight where you can get at it.  Only a compression test or taking all the covers off would prove it.  I would leave that for now and check the fuel supply and outlet to the filter.  You haven't just filled up with fuel have you?
2004 2.5 174
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith connor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 18 at 09:46
Yes I did just fill it up i put 60 pounds worth in the tank do i take the back pipe of the fuel filter and put it in a bucket and turn the engine over.
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith connor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 18 at 10:02
Took the back pipe off the filter and turned the engine over and plenty of diesel comes out.could it maybe a relay not working
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 18 at 13:33
I think you should be able to hear the fuel pump squelching briefly (like the 2.5's) on turning the ignition without cranking and you should see diesel coming out for a second or so as the low pressure pump runs.  Make sure what comes out looks, smells and feels right if you have just filled up.

It's not ideal but as a test you could try a squirt of easystart just to see if it will run for a second or so (it won't if the cam belt is broken for instance).  But you would have to use it directly into the inlet pipe, not the air filter pipe because otherwise it will have to go through the turbo and all the way round through the intercooler before it can be burnt.  

Do you know when the fuel filter was last changed? 
2004 2.5 174
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith connor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 18 at 17:48
I can hear the fuel pump kick in when I turn the ignition on.i changed the fuel filter 12000 miles ago this van now has 22222 miles on the clock I have some easy start I will try that and let u now.
DaveHobie View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveHobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 18 at 18:48
Most important. Make sure that you have diesel and not petrol. Pour 1/2 litre into a see through container and let it stand for an hour or so to see if there is water mixed with the diesel.

You can check timing by getting the front Crank pulley lined up and then checking the cam pulley to check if it possibly jumped a tooth etc. Until you have checked properly try not to crank the engine.

If you have vcds, check your torsion settings as they change as the Cambelt wears - stretches. Check the three bolts on the cam pulley to make sure they are tight. Have worked on a couple of them where the bolts were not tight enough and the pulley moved - the ecu picks this up and cuts the engine off, thankfully no head/valve damage. I normally reset torsion values every 10 to 15k km.

Check that your traction control light is not on, if it is then it could be relay 109 - sits under the batteries fuse box - the big fuse box. Usually when you hear the squelch noise of the pump then the relay is working.

Maybe this is a waste of time but check your brake switch as that can cause issues as it tells ecu the brakes have been pressed but an error here will throw up the glow plug warning light. Just do not remove the switch else you will have to replace it.

Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith connor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 18 at 19:24
I checked the 3 bolts on the cam pulley 2 bolts were a little slack and u can see on the cam that the bolts have moved a bit u can see a mark where the bolts were.whats the best too do now just slacking the 3 bolts a little and move it to the old bolt hole marks line up.
DaveHobie View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveHobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 18 at 19:30
Give it a try and then use vcds to fine tune it - remember a 1mm movement is a huge reading.

Tighten the bolts tight and test. Then after setting with vcds tighten then very tight - but not too tight that they break.

Tongue tied after that one. They do recommend replacing those 3 bolts each time but all the ones I have done are OK.
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith connor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 18 at 19:47
I tried that but still no joy with starting up.
DaveHobie View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveHobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 18 at 19:53
See if you can borrow a vcds to set the torsion values as the settings are very tricky without it but it should start if close enough.

Did you turn the crank by hand and check the timing. The marks are easily visible.
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith connor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 18 at 19:56
I will get my van on the ramp 2mor and check the timming marks I will let u know how I get on and thank u for your advice.
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith connor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 18 at 14:58
Yes I put petrol in the tank on the last fill just drained it now and trying to start my van
DaveHobie View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveHobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 18 at 15:32
Prime the pump using vcds so that you don't wear out your starter.  Without it, it will take quite long to prime it by continuously cranking - about a minute or so of cranking so allow the starter enough time to cool and the battery to recover - put it on charge in the meantime.  Good luck.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 18 at 16:41
You should change the fuel filter (or at least empty it for now) you can prime the filter by cycling the ignition without cranking, the low pressure pump will pump for a second or so each time.  It will take many turns of the key.  VCDS is much better but you can easily do it using the low pressure pump.  The 1.9's are a PD engine so have no rotary high pressure pump.  

The fuel line between the tandem pump (at the opposite end to the cam belt) and the PD injectors will be full of petrol too, you will need to drain this but I have no experience of this so hopefully someone else knows.  I can't say it strongly enough, be really careful now you have all this petrol sloshing about, any tiny spark will be enough for an explosion.  Don't drain any petrol at all in an enclosed space like your garage.
2004 2.5 174
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith connor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 18 at 10:02
I put a new fuel filter on and filled it up i flushed the fuel lines to the tandam pump and I give the van a spray off easy start and she still did not start I don't have VCDS.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>