The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glow plugs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Jammy75 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jammy75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glow plugs
    Posted: 17 Mar 18 at 10:28
Just a quick one to say thanks guys, it was the two strip fuses, swapped them over and she fired right up.
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 18 at 22:09
Originally posted by LTCamper89 LTCamper89 wrote:

Check the fuses in the engine bay. Cracks can occur and therefore one, or both, banks of glowplugs do not getfull current.

Definitely! Mine was the same - she'd always cough and splutter into life eventually, but in her own private smokescreen.

Fuses looked fine,. but testing showed hairline fractures that meant they weren't man enough to carry to required juice (which is a fair bit!).
Back in the slow lane, yeah!
Jammy75 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jammy75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 18 at 16:59
Thanks for the info gents, I'll test the voltage going to them with a multi meter as per another post I spotted here. Visually inspected the 2 strip fuses last night and they look fine, but do need to to replace one of the 3.5mm fuel hoses between the injectors, looks like a mouse took a liking to the rubber so I'll change that first before buying the glow plugs.    
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 18 at 12:30
Check the fuses in the engine bay. Cracks can occur and therefore one, or both, banks of glowplugs do not getfull current.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 18 at 12:27
http://www.lt1-forum.de/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=start:wichtige_daten:daten_gluehkerzen

From the LT1-Forum wiki, containing an interesting insight into changing technology over LT evolution.

Mechanically compatible, the electrical properties of the candles have been changed over and over again.

Today, however, due to program tightening, only a few of the original types of candles are still available, the ones of the last evolutionary stage. However, these candles can be used in all LT diesels, so they are backwards compatible. These are, for example, the following candles:

VAGN 102 130. 02
BeruGN 857
Bosch0 250 201 032
diesel SendDS 032

However, the current consumption of the candles has grown during the development to twice the original value. On the electrics, however, there was no reinforcement in this regard.

Therefore, when using modern candles, make sure that the cabling and the central electrics are in good condition so that they can meet the higher performance requirements.

1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 18 at 08:43
Could also be fuel draining back from the fuel pump.........
1985 LT40 2.4TD Coach built Pioneer Diamond
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
Jammy75 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jammy75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 18 at 18:00
Hello,

Been having some starting issues on my 1994 Lt35 it has the 2.td ACL engine. She takes an age to start up and get masses of white smoke, once going she runs clean and if I turn her off, she'll restart no trouble at all. Figure it's a glow plug issue so want to change them. I've looked through the diesel manuals posted here, but, can't find a part number for them, searching online brings up a number of different makes that vary greatly in price, any one have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Jammy
 Post Reply Post Reply