The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT1 Parts interchangability

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT1 Parts interchangability
    Posted: 28 Feb 18 at 15:37
Let me first say Hello to everyone, since this is my very first post on this forum!
Second; if my English is a bit odd at times - I'm from Sweden - I guess that explains it all!

Now to my questions:

I'm looking to buy a 1983 LT28 Karmann mobile home (the LT"H" version).
However, based on the 28, there is not much additional load allowed. Therefore, I plan to transplant parts from a LT35 to be able to register it for 3,5 tons total weight.

Now, I wonder:
1. How is part interchangeability of parts over the 20+ years of LT1 production? (i.e. do I have to look for a LT35 from specific years to be able to transplant parts to my 1983 LT?)

2. What parts differ between the 28 and the 35? Is it more than rear axle, suspension and perhaps break sizes?

3. I've been trying to find a typical parts list for the LT1 to find out, but I have not found any on-line. Does anyone know where I could find one or should I try buy one from e-bay?

Any advice to point me in a direction where I find answers to my questions is most appreciated!

//Bengt

Edited by benign - 28 Feb 18 at 16:05
Buss Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 18 at 17:10
Sweden, a tiny little country so smal that every body are living at the same place, so they all only write Sweden in their profile.

Well i didn't know there was any Karmann LT in Sweden.
In Norway the importer runs their bussines in the spirit of the founder of the car Company. When i asked them about increasing the weight of my 1987 LT 28 Karmann LT L, they told me that they don't have anny tecnical information about the LT.

So i had to investigate into it myself. The front brakes are identical to al the 3 "light" LTs. LT 28 and 31 have the same rear axel, and same brakes. it is almost identical to the VW T3, exept bolt pattern 5x160 on the LT insted of 5x112 on the T3 and the wheel sylinder is 23,81 on the T3 and 25,4 on the LT
The LT35e has bigger brake drums. Identical to the T3 Syncro 16.
The max permited front axel load is 1650kg, but 1500kg is most common. Max on the rear Axel LT 31 is 1940kg. On mine i have 1500kg front and 1680kg rear, total 3180kg. Another owner on the Norwegian http://vwbus.no/forum/viewforum.php?f=23 has a LT 31 Karmann LT H and has 1940kg on the rear and 3440kg total. We have the same leaf springs on the rear, 2+0,5 leafs.
I think you should start with askin Bilprovning or whoever is authorized to increas the weight of your LT what to do and how to do it.
In Germany they do this at some TUV inspection places that stil has the information given out by VW about 20+5 years ago. They then have to buy new springs, usualy from https://www.blattfeder-shop.de/ so they can prove how many kg the springs are sertifed for. And then they increase the permited weight of the car.
So the simple answer is: paperwork and may bee new springs.

I have more or less given up in stead i have changed from lead battery to a 10%smaler AGM battery, repositioned it and gotten alu Wheels. total weight save is 40kg

i had to write 20+5 years, so the auto correct didn't Write: abouT3 as the combination T+twenty five is not aloved on thsi forum

Edited by Buss Marius - 28 Feb 18 at 17:19
87 Karmann LT L 2,4D. 89 T3 Syncro Reimo 1,9TD. 2000 T4 Caravelle TDI
benign View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 18 at 20:39
Thanks a bunch Buss Marius!

Right, Sweden is a small country population wise but not area-wise, so I could be much more precise about my location.
I did update my profile for you and added city - city and country now maximized the number of characters of that database field - now reading "StockholmSweden" - better than nothing , right?

As for Karmann LT:s in Sweden, I have seen 2 other for sale over the time I've been looking (a little more than a year) so there are more than one here Smile.

You are right that the Bilprovningen are the ones who should be able to give final advice on what needs to be done but your information is clearly indicating that it should be as simple as replacing rear axle, breaks and suspension - good news!
I have a feeling the front axle beam should be replaced as well.

Still curious about the interchangeability of parts between the years. Are there different "generations" of the LT1?

//Bengt

Edited by benign - 28 Feb 18 at 20:41
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 18 at 21:25
83 model year was the first With the engine leaning 27 degeres to the right, and positioned a little bitt backwards from the earlyer models. So every thing should be interchangeable among the 83 to 95 models. A lot is not intrchange able between 82 and 83.
Swedish Wikipedia pages on the Lt is shity, but both the Norwegian, English and German are good. if you understand german this LT-Wiki is a very good page: http://lt-forum.de/
As i wrote, there is no difference in the front aksel, exept caliper With and without ABS sensors, and differen springs. Your rear aksel is aproved for up to 1940kg, wth the right springs. Of course if you change to a turbo engine, like from a Volvo With 129hp or a 2,5 TDI 5 syl then may bee the bigger brakes of the LT35 could come in handy. but as i see it, the biggest reason to do any thing With my rear aksel is when i instal a 2,5TDI engine from an Audi A6, then i need to lower the RPMs

Here are som good providers of LT Parts: https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/
https://busschmiede.de/shop/LT   https://www.werk34.de/index.php/cat/c4898_LT--95.html
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 18 at 12:26
Thumbs Up
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
benign View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 18 at 10:12
Thanks Again Buss Marius!
The Audi A6 2.5TDi sounds like an interesting swap.
Is it a tried and true transplant or are you pioneering the subject?

//Bengt 

Edited by benign - 02 Mar 18 at 10:13
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 18 at 12:11
Instaling a 2,5TDI has been done several times, may bee in 20-25 LTs world wide. It is not wery complicated, as the 2,5 TDI is in many ways a Shorter Version of "Our" 6 syl engine. The 5 and more sylinder VAG engines have a different boltpatern to the gearbox, than the 1,9 engines and other 3 and 4 sylinder engines, so the 1,9 can't be mated to a LT gearbox without an adapter. If you vant a 4 sylinder engine in an LT, the Volvo Redblock engines also has the same boltpattern as Our engine. In a 2,5TDI You use the sump from a 6 syl LT and cut out a section in the middel to make it fit the 5 sylinder engine, then you have to do a little bit of fabrication to the engin Mounts. There are also som chalenges to cooling fan, and the elctrick system has to be sorted.
The A6 engine is already leaning to the right, so has the manifolds and other Things you need. You could also use a T4 engien but you need some A6 parts.
There is a man i Austria that has a 140hp engine in his coachbuildt that is chiped to about 180hp.
A TDI engien runs on about 20% lover RPMs than Our 6 syl engines, so we need another rear Axel, bigger tires or a New gearbox. Al Lt gearboxes are 1-1 in 5 gear. Actually almost al gearboxes are 1-1 on the final drive. The few exeptions are volvo gearboxes. One of the Getrag gearboxes for the volvo 960 reduses the RPMs With 30% but then you have problems With the cable to the speedometer. But the M46 gearbox, With the overdrive, reduses RPMs With 19%. It is a good gearbox and easyli awaylable in Sweden. Actualy there is a guy in Germany that has mated the overdrive section from a M46, to a LT gearbox.
Steptop View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steptop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 18 at 10:34
Excellent technical info in this thread.
I've not seen any threads yet refering to an auto box, but surely this has been done sometimes? I have seen a guy in UK who fitted a V8(!) has an auto but I've not found any details yet just a short clip from the recent VoLT meetup on YouTube
fallen in love with the LT, and I think it's going to be a long-term thing...
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 18 at 14:01
Newer heard of any LTs With a auto Box. However the Volvo 740 and 940 came With Automatic. So it should fit the engine. I also know the sweds has mor caravans per capita than anny other nation, and most of them drove Volvo, but how long the gearbox wil last in a Heavy LT i dont know.
I know there is a man in Germany that got a problem with his foot, so couldn't drive his LT (i think it was a Karmann LT) anny more. He ended up instaling a button on top of the shifter, to operate the clutch With a pneumatic system.

The Volvo had Automatic gearboxes mostly from Aisin-warner in Japan. the AW70 82-97, AW71 76-98 and AW72 89-93. They will reduse Your Rpms With 27 to 31% also ZF delivered: ZF22 and ZF4HP22L.
If you realy want to do this the AW71 is a HD wersion of the AW70, so probably the strongest.
nooberdoober View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 18 at 12:51
I tried swapping a power steering set up out of a mk2 to have it in my mk1 . The bolt pattern was slightly different and number of bolts reduced but gauge of the remaining bolts increased. Also some reduction in steering box front mounting bracket to accommodate longer power steering box reservoir. Also a different coupling from box to steering column.  They opted for UJ on the power steering coupling and a less robust alternative on the early models without power steering.

Quite a lot of differences but i think you could easily modify the early model to fit a late model steering set. I didn't risk it though.

I've also seen quite a number of other variations of steering set up across the mk1 & mk2 LT range.
I got me a 2.4 straight Six......and it's a soundin JUICY!

1984 LT40 2.4 petrol Coachbuilt Autotrail Motorhome
 Post Reply Post Reply