The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Side light regs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Side light regs
    Posted: 07 Feb 18 at 21:54
Anyone confirm i can get away with running side lights in the indicator housing? (mine have 2 bulbs in them - one for indicators one for marker/side lights)  From what ive read there within the min/max height etc for side lights. Been running landy led 7" units for the last 6 months and not worried about them but mot due soon. failing that stick the landy ones on the side for mot purpose

Cheers for any input    
"follow the masses, do the opposite"
Dropchip View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dropchip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 18 at 20:23
I have the side lights Worthing the indicator housing and they have never been an issue at MOT
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 18 at 23:18
Solely in the indicator housing? None in your headlamps? 
Cheers  
Dropchip View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dropchip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 18 at 00:35
Ahh you want to make the headlight ones redundant. I still use them. So I basically have 4x side lights
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 18 at 16:38
Yeah, the led lights im using dont have built in sidelights so im hoping ill get away with them in the indicators.
Cheers
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 18 at 20:22
im under the impression they have to be white. running orange markers does not count..... i have not spoke to my mot guy yet (im running landy leds too) 
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 18 at 20:55
Cheers, They will be white light just from the indicator housing rather than the headlights... Can ya let me know what his opinion is please Thumbs Up If they dont meet requirements, im gonna temporarily stick some landy one on for the test 
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 18 at 21:21
aye will do!

The Dogbot View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dogbot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 18 at 22:44
Originally posted by rowlesy rowlesy wrote:

im under the impression they have to be white. running orange markers does not count..... i have not spoke to my mot guy yet (im running landy leds too) 

They must be white and 5w
If they are in the standard position then they will pass the regs on dimensions/limits etc.

If the examiner is a jobsworth then the lenses should be 'E' marked but few testers bother to check

The other option easy with LED's is to run a dim/dip setup with the 'dim' powered from the parking light circuit.
Home is where you park it

1993 LT50 Mini Artic
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 18 at 11:07
The way I read it is that technically sidelights soley in the indicator housing should fail the MOT since they share the same reflector and are therefore are obscured:

Reason for Rejection:
f. adversely affected by the operation of any other lamp, e.g. dual-function lamps on foreign vehicles.

from here:
http://www.ukmot.com/manual/1.1/Front-and-Rear-Position-Lamps#MOT

Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 18 at 17:29
The mrs BMW MINI sidelights are in the front bumper in the same housing as the indicator, separate from the headlights. The indicators over power the side lights massively, so instead of a tiny sidelight youve now got a flashing orange beacon on the side of your car!

Are the sidelights more for parking/marker lights 

Cheers
The Dogbot View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dogbot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 18 at 14:25
Originally posted by chris7ian chris7ian wrote:

The way I read it is that technically sidelights soley in the indicator housing should fail the MOT since they share the same reflector and are therefore are obscured:

Reason for Rejection:
f. adversely affected by the operation of any other lamp, e.g. dual-function lamps on foreign vehicles.

from here:

By your thinking then most cars on the road would fail and certainly those with the sidelights in the headlights. No way can you tell in that instance if the sidelights are on at the same time as the headlights

Home is where you park it

1993 LT50 Mini Artic
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 18 at 16:42
Originally posted by Bromy Bromy wrote:

The mrs BMW MINI sidelights are in the front bumper in the same housing as the indicator, separate from the headlights. The indicators over power the side lights massively, so instead of a tiny sidelight youve now got a flashing orange beacon on the side of your car!

Are the sidelights more for parking/marker lights 

Cheers

Aren't the MINI sub-bumper indicators split like this:
Same housing, separate reflector?

Originally posted by The Dogbot The Dogbot wrote:

Originally posted by chris7ian chris7ian wrote:

Reason for Rejection:

from here:

By your thinking then most cars on the road would fail and certainly those with the sidelights in the headlights. No way can you tell in that instance if the sidelights are on at the same time as the headlights

We're talking about sidelights in indicators, not sidelights in headlights.
I'm not saying I'm definitely right, just that's how I read the regs, same as you can't have your taillight bulb and rear indicator in the same reflector, or front indicator in your headlamp reflector...

Edited by chris7ian - 16 Mar 18 at 16:47
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 18 at 19:36
With the bus booked in for mot, i popped in to see my mot bloke and he said that the sidelights will be fine in the indicator housing. As long as there separate bulbs and wont flash with the indicators Thumbs Up 
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 18 at 21:17
Passed no advisories Thumbs Up 

rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 18 at 21:22
nice one - another chap on the facebook has just had his mot with similar set up and passed too

Post Reply Post Reply