The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I've just bought a 'Brick' lol

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dogbot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I've just bought a 'Brick' lol
    Posted: 04 Feb 18 at 16:42
Just thought I'd pop by and say Hi :)

I've just bought a 'Brick' lol

A 93 LT50 Mini Artic with a 5th Wheel ex-exhibition trailer that has been yee-hahed into a camper of sorts.

Plan is to do a proper camper conversion in the trailer 

I am retired (yep another granddad camper lol) through poor health now but have over 40 yrs professional experience in vehicle resto/custom work including camper/caravan and yacht interior refits and restoration work so while physical ability is somewhat limited there's not much wrong with the old grey matter that a good cuppa or shot of JD to lubricate it from time to time won't fix.
Hopefully, I may be able to help a few as well as finding much-needed info and knowledge on this particular oddity 

I pick it up in Cider Country on Tuesday and plan a christening trip to Devon and Gloucestershire on route home to Lancashire.

A 300 ish miles Maiden voyage in an unknown 7.5 ton  German breeze block that's hinged in the middle.
EEEK!
I hope I don't need the good luck that I ask you all to wish for me. lol

So if you spot a white rather sad looking LT with something that looks akin to a green shepherds hut attached behind it On route North Tue/Wed/Thurs, (may need to extend that estimate depending on mechanical ability and agility lol), then say Hi. 

Home is where you park it

1993 LT50 Mini Artic
Monster LT View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 18 at 17:58
Sounds like fun!
Good luck with the trip & rebuild and remember to check the cam / timing belts health / history...
Welcome to the slow lane!
LT45-TD-ACL-intercooler-4x4-1993
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 18 at 08:45
Welcome to the forum mate, have a look at http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/new-member-please-read_topic44748.html.
Hopefully you won't need them but it has links to Workshop Manuals etc.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Syncost Alot. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
horns apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syncost Alot. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 18 at 10:55
Haaaa. I might pass you on the M5 heading back to Devon in my new old LT35.
Bought unseen. ...... what could possibly go wrong? Lol
Founder member of the "WESTERN FRONT VOLKSWAGEN KLUB".......membership no 0001
robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 18 at 14:44
Is the white crew-cab and green trailer that was on Ebay?

looked cool if its the same oneSmile
1985 LT40 2.4TD Coach built Pioneer Diamond
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
Syncost Alot. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
horns apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syncost Alot. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 18 at 23:22
Well I'm still looking.
Was a piece of sh!t.
Seller forgot to mention the terminal structure rust.
Still looking.
Hope your journey went better.
Founder member of the "WESTERN FRONT VOLKSWAGEN KLUB".......membership no 0001
The Dogbot View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dogbot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 18 at 09:00
Originally posted by robbydoo robbydoo wrote:

Is the white crew-cab and green trailer that was on Ebay?

looked cool if its the same oneSmile

One and the same and it's very cool  ................... It comes with much desired full Air Con!
This has been very economically achieved by letting the rust minions chew a hole in the passenger doorstep and the top of the driver's door frame creating a cross draft through the cab.

Originally posted by <span style=font-size: 11px; : rgb251, 251, 253;>Vanorak</span> Vanorak wrote:

Well I'm still looking.
Was a piece of sh!t.
Seller forgot to mention the terminal structure rust.
Still looking.
Hope your journey went better.

That might explain why I didn't spot you then. Bad luck chap. Keep looking :)

Well, 342-mile maiden voyage and I am now safely home with Minnie.
Mechanically she is superb but cosmetically challenged.

Cab:
Usual front panel rot but probably salvageable without removing the screen

A couple of panel seams that want immediate attention but again easy to sort

Cab roof has been walked on by a heard of elephants so looking for a fiberglass Hi-Top that can be suitably modified --- this will help front aero as well because the trailer towers above the cab.

Heater blower don't work :( 
Washers are intermittent/temperamental
Front seats are pretty good but I'll change them anyway
Rear seats - less said the better 
No drivers seatbelt
And as for that handbrake leaver !!! What bright spark decided to put a long travel h/brake lever between the driver's door and the seat? Me thinks a conversion to a trigger type mounted under the dash is in order.
Ashtray is useful and clean though. it is a good size for holding a vape a spare bottle of juice lol

Trailer:
Ex-Fire Dept breathing apparatus unit that they later converted into an exhibition unit and now is a camper of sorts. It leaves a lot to be desired but is usable as is and has many appliances that are quite expensive to obtain. So lots of potential and a good starting point.

Mechanicals:
Timing belts done about 5k ago
lots of receipts for work done on rolling stock including a complete overhaul of the trailer air brake actuators.
The oil light is on perminatelly: However, the previous owner states that it came on shortly after he bought the truck and he freaked. receipts to prove full investigation including replacement pressure sensor etc and a pressure check everything checks out but oil light still on. She drove up all the way with no issues and no nasty noises or explosions so, pending further investigation, I'm guessing a wiring fault.

Truck pulls like a stormtrooper achieving 60 mph on the motorway with ease even with that heavy trailer behind but happiest cruising at around 45-50 which is very acceptable and comfortable. Trailer tows really well and is easy to maneuver. Although other drivers could give a little more thought to the fact that it may be small it still behaves like an artic and give a little more room.
Me thinks an oversized and very shouty air horn is in order lol

All in all over the moon and excited about the potential fun with an amazing and very underesstimated icon.

Watch this space

Home is where you park it

1993 LT50 Mini Artic
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 18 at 12:07
Thumbs Up
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 18 at 22:09
Interesting reading, always fancied a mini artic you sound like you have all the required skills good luck with your project and if possible some pics would be nice.Thumbs Up
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
 Post Reply Post Reply