The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

One thing after another

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One thing after another
    Posted: 28 Jan 18 at 09:37
After all the help from you guys on here helping me keep my little LT horse box on the move I’ve ran into a little head scratcher. Was driving on the A68 possibly the worst road I’ve been on for hill 12-14% gradient barley doing 20mph we drove from the A69 to tow low. Basically we made it to the show jumping then on the way back most of the hills were mainly down hill so the brakes took a bit of battering. NOW the problem I was half way down a hill and the pedal shot to the floor I Done a slight poo! With Barley little contact I lifted my foot back off the brake and luckily the brake worked fine again lifted my foot back off pushed it down boom straight to the floor kept doing this so i eventually found somewhere safe to pull over got the horse recovered and sitting for an hour thought I’d tackle the drive home only 10 mins away. The brakes worked totally fine but noticed when I went round corners the brake like would flicker so I checked fluid and all seem fine tbh. I’ve checled for leaks no sign. Anyone else experienced anything like this or might know the cause? I haven’t checked master cylinder yet.
B reg 2.4 straight 6 petrol
tellytubby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tellytubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 18 at 10:59
Had a similar problem on an old Cortina estate car  - every now and again the brake pedal would sink to the floor then after a few goes would just as quickly stiffen up again.  I actually sat my driving test in it while it was like this though fortunately it behaved itself on the day.  A replacement master cylinder fixed it.
LTLee View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 18 at 15:43
Awesome cheers for quick reply I’ll order one and try that
lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 18 at 16:39
Hi having same sort of problem but with clutch pedal (not LT though ) which i put down to the master cylinder  so went to that first and fitted repair kit which comprises of piston and new seals plus boot/bellows, old piston was not that bad !   Then as i had already tried to reverse bleed the slave cylinder with no luck i though best to replace piston and seals in this also as obvious damage/wear/perishment on strip down. I think if you don't do the two (brake master and slave cylinder)
together one will put more pressure on the other and fail anyway !In my case still to complete as main dealer sent wrong size piston kit  for slave ! 
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 18 at 16:45
Also should have said there were no leaks i though ! until i bled slave ,pressure built up as fluid was filling in to bellows and not leaking until i detached it so problem was slave and probably not master as showing to be .
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
LTLee View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 18 at 16:47
Hmm I’ll have to have a good look into it.

Does anyone know the p/n for the master and slave cylinder? It’s 1984 2.4 petrol lt35
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 18 at 16:55
There was once the great vagcat we all used on here but gone off the web  now unfortunately so try www.iauto.lt ; i use it all the time for mercedes parts but be careful as browser says site unsafe ?
Try brickwerks site on here LT 89 will know !
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 18 at 17:08
sorry Lee just read your post properly also have you checked the wheel cylinders in the rear drum brakes for leaks these also have seal problems.
Serge View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 18 at 10:18
A friend of mine had exactly the same problem/symptoms you describe on the return journey North from Stanford Hall last year.
She had left the handbrake on just one notch which had caused the brake fluid to 'boil' with subsequent loss of pedal.
When we cooled down the rear brakes all was back to normal but we changed the brake fluid as a precaution.
1990 LT28 Westfalia Florida 2.4TD + Reliant Scimitar GTC + Mk 4 Mondeo + Triumph Trident Sprint 900 + Honda 550/4
http://www.sergeantsmess.co.uk/
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 18 at 12:28
https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/

The parts mirrors change often so OEMPC is still on the page though it has become a little dodgy of late, so use 7zap or any other.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Dreamcatcher View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 18 at 23:39
Maybe a bit late for a reply to your question, but almost certainly you boiled the fluid which caused the loss of pedal pressure until the brakes cooled.
Brake fluid is hydroscopic and will over time absorb water, this is what bolls. You need to replace the entire content of the brake circuits.
The discs on the LT ARE UN-vented and will heat up ferry quickly if you ride the brakes
Dave 1991 LT31 Camper
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 18 at 16:06
Change the brake fluid mate, needs to be done every 2 years or so and is cheap enough.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Post Reply Post Reply