The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brake Caliper Bolts 4x4 bother!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake Caliper Bolts 4x4 bother!
    Posted: 19 Jan 18 at 17:20
Trying to replace CV boots on the 4x4.
Need to remove discs and have 'em skimmed too.- A bit rusty.
Having trouble and more trouble....Angry
The top bolt holding the caliper to the wheel bearing housing is in such a tight spot I can't find any tool to get round it. The bolts head is 22mm hex. I tried open end, ring spanners, and various sockets but no go. I'll end up grinding down a spanner and trying again but I fear it might end up too weak after grinding.
Any tips greatfully appreciated.

To top it all UPS has had the CV boots at my local depot since Wed morning and still hasn't delivered it's now Fri eve....now they say they've lost the package after they promised to deliver by noon today!
LT45-TD-ACL-intercooler-4x4-1993
Monster LT View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 18 at 18:02
What a PITA. Finally got the bolt off after grinding down the ring of a 22mm cranked offest ring spanner to fit into that tiny gap that the wheel bearing housing allows.

Now I still need to figure out how to disassemble the brake disc and to get to the CV Joint and replace its boot. Been reading Fahrwerk Allradentrieb to figure the steps but I'm still unsure if I've got to remove the bearings in the hub too or just the hub all as one piece. I tried removing the flange off the front of the hub but it won't come off. It just moves fwd 1cm or so.Confused

Monster LT View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 18 at 23:43
Finally some clarity...
Seems Cable Guy has done the same job on his LT40 4x4 Van and posted on his blog which I didn't have a clue existed.
www.microexpeditions.co.uk/cv-joint-woes
Massive thanks to Cable Guy for the write up and photos!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a great write up and in English too!
Err, can I please borrow your lock nut tool?

Edited by Monster LT - 20 Jan 18 at 23:44
Cableguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cableguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 18 at 12:23
Ha ha. Speak later
 Post Reply Post Reply