The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Head lights flickering at idle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dropchip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Head lights flickering at idle
    Posted: 09 Jan 18 at 20:31
Hi guys.

Van has a new problem 😂. Head lights have started to flickers quite badly at idle, stops when driving/revs are higher. Have tested the alternator diode and it seems fine. Also it was a brand new alternator about 8 months ago. I’m running an EJ25 conversion. So it’s the Subaru alternator.

Any idea if I could check anything else?

mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 18 at 22:57
battery dropped a cell?
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
Horse View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 18 at 09:20

Edited by Horse - 11 Jan 18 at 09:23
Pete Westy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Westy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 18 at 16:59
Originally posted by Horse Horse wrote:

Has this thread just come to a full stop? Or was that the point?

Edited by Pete Westy - 11 Jan 18 at 17:00
Pete

I've spent so much time under the Atlantic I'm changing my name to Titanic.
Dropchip View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dropchip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 18 at 23:34
50% off at Euro on battery’s ordered a new one.

I’ll let you know if it was the battery 😀
Horse View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 18 at 13:22
Originally posted by Pete Westy Pete Westy wrote:

Originally posted by Horse Horse wrote:

Has this thread just come to a full stop? Or was that the point?

I'd posted this link to a similar problem, but then I read the post properly! http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=156905

rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 18 at 07:46
exciter not working correctly? my diesel needs a rev to get it working properly - possible brushes have worn?

UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Dropchip View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dropchip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 18 at 21:02
WHAt is the exciter bud? And where is it?
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 18 at 21:33
exciter is the thin lead to alternator. passes small current to "excite" and get the alternator to start working. usually a blip with the throttle sorts it - once the alternators kicking out maximum voltage (14.4v ish) it'll stay there while the engine is running. if you have to keep above a certain range (revs) the brushes may need replacing.

my jetta has a 90a alternator that works well - but if you give it some beans everything gets brighter!
my bus runs a little lumpy when cold (prob glow plugs) and the battery light flickers on the dash - 950 rpm a blip on the throttle makes it go out......... character traits i call them!

UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
e42b View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote e42b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 18 at 21:46
Hi,
that's worth to trace but the first thing i'd do is to follow all the plugs in order to clean them, and secondly have an eye on the light switch, which is known to give up after a decent amount of working hours. Thirdly, the ignition switch is also known for not beeing able to survive to the end of all days.
Good luck
E.
 Post Reply Post Reply