The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Water heater plugs on AFN

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water heater plugs on AFN
    Posted: 06 Jan 18 at 20:57
Does anyone bother refitting the relays etc to run the water preheat on an AFN when they build a new loom? I dont live in Alaska and my PD engine and old 1700 NA seem fine without them. Also any ideas on a resistor value to replace the EGR solenoid?

Edited by scoody - 06 Jan 18 at 20:58
randolph57 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randolph57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 18 at 11:05
IMO the water heaters are absolutely not necessary on your AFN. I reverted to the JX type 'spigot' outlet and did not have the wiring spliced to the loom i used. 6 years use with no issues. Sorry don't know about EGR Solenoid.
scoody View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 18 at 22:41
Thanks for that,it will save me a lot of hassle and space to dump the relays etc. I have seen a value for the EGR solenoid replacement relay somewhere so I will trawl the internet again.
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 18 at 09:00
I use the water heater glow plugs as they help to defrost the windscreen if you use your vehicle in winter. The TDI engines are very slow to warm up when not driven making defrosting the window very difficult with the heater.
I say leave them in.
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
scoody View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 18 at 20:45
Good call Tim but I set to and hauled them out the loom already.The heater fan hasn't run for years so I guess screen demisting from cold is not something I would notice. Do I need to do anything with the ECU outputs for the water heater relays to avoid fault codes? I beleive the EGR connection needs a resistor to sort the absence of a valve out.
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 18 at 11:06
Just leave the EGR solenoid attache to the loom but do not connect any hoses to keep the ECU happy. This will save from having fault codes from EGR.

Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
 Post Reply Post Reply