The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New owner need some help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 18 at 16:51
Welcome, beautiful van both insidenout great pics keep em coming !ClapSmileWink
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
hooliganATV View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooliganATV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 18 at 21:24
Originally posted by funky_monkey funky_monkey wrote:

Hi Mate, I've enjoyed reading your post, thought I'd make a few points, I've owned and worked on many old Lt's nearly all have the red light flashing when it shouldn't be, it is for the coolent level, i think it's a problem in the dash rather than the sender on tank. Also not seen many that the windscreen seal doesn't leak. This will rot out you windscreen suround if left. If you take the windscreen out, it's better to cut the rubber from inside and buy a new one, as your probably break it getting it out otherwise. The oil pressure gadge is after market, the Lt just has a buzzer in the dash for no oil pressure. Also I'm considering removing the viscous fan on mine for electric, you gain mpg and small amount of power, but also as in Italy once the rubber came off around the fan on my old fan breaking the fan and sending a blade through the radiator. I managed to remove the rad and roll up the damaged tubes in rad and solder them with a blow torch and plumbing solder from a near by diy store. I recently broken my old van and still have a fuse board if you need it.

thank you very much, i'll get the window out in the summer and get it all rubbed back and treated, if needs be i will cut and weld in replacement metal. i may have to cut and weld in new footwells as they seem pretty bad but may just be surface as i can stick a screwdriver through it yet. 

i have left the fan wiring in place, i think i will fit a electric fan but something substantial that will actually help and also make some proper mounting brackets  hahaha. i haven't heard a buzzer so that's a good thing , i'll be leaving the pressure gage in as its seems to work ok, i'm also going to fit a couple of voltmeters into the spare slots for the van and leisure battery just for a visual reference.
the coolant light went out after i topped it up but again ill drain the system in the summer and run some new coolant through it as it wasn't done on the recent service as they were happy with the colour ( im not). while i'm there i'll get all the fuel lines replaced too. 

Originally posted by lorryloader lorryloader wrote:

Welcome, beautiful van both insidenout great pics keep em coming !ClapSmileWink

thank you, the jobs keep getting added so don't worry i will keep updating but will slow down a bit now as we have a couple of little trips planned so can doing anything major. 

think the next major job is in february when we are going to be going through the hole electrics Dead

i also have a motorbike to build for a competition lol best get my finger out

Edited by hooliganATV - 14 Jan 18 at 21:26
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooliganATV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 18 at 20:17
Just quick update, these arrived.

New cupholders and a bag to go on the roof rack. This will get some.of the less important stuff like outside chairs out the way. It won't be up there all the time at least not while we not using the van but on trips we can clear stuff out up there
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooliganATV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 18 at 18:11
So looks like we ready for our first official weekend away as a family. And the van is looking good if I do say so my self.

List of jobs is still growing but taking a break for now

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 18 at 18:33
Have a great weekend mate, bloody chilly down here though.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooliganATV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 18 at 22:18
Originally posted by AndyT AndyT wrote:

Have a great weekend mate, bloody chilly down here though.

not actually that far from you, just the other side of bridgend.

heading over the bridge and into dorset this weekend staying on a mates farm so should be ok.

Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooliganATV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 18 at 22:45
just make sure you test everything. 

jump in the van today after i had to recharge the batteries because i left a light on in the cupboard.

drove to morrisons filled up ready for tomorrow parked up happy. got home from work went to load up figured i would fill the water tank to test the pumps and water heater while we away drove it round to the house noticed it was dark in the cab, filled the water tank jump back in and realised the dash lights aren't working.

not going to strip the dash out now and fault find, it must have been something i removed when i fitted the stereo because the rest of the wires we removed were not connected to anything. oh well rigged an LED to light the dash up for now, i'm day driving anyway for the most part. bit annoyed but hey it wouldn't be a project if everything worked. 
i need to rip all the dash off because im going to fit two visual voltmeters one for the car battery the other the leisure as the LED light system on the main switch board is rubbish, one green light indicates 11 volts that wouldn't start anything. 
also found out the split charger isn't a split charge, both batteries charge and discharge together so leave a light on and the drive battery goes dead too. another job. 
1989 LT35E, 2.4 S6 LPG Camper
robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 18 at 07:28
Are your dash lights dimmable? mine has a little wheel directly above the switch and they practically turn off..........you've not turned them right down have you?
1985 LT40 2.4TD Coach built Pioneer Diamond
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooliganATV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 18 at 09:35
Originally posted by robbydoo robbydoo wrote:

Are your dash lights dimmable? mine has a little wheel directly above the switch and they practically turn off..........you've not turned them right down have you?

Yes they are but it's not that's it was the first thing I tryed. It's ok I'll pull the dash and sort this out. Way I look at it is if the only major thing I have to do on this van is the wiring I'm winning cause in the grand scheme it's probably the cheapest of the major components to do hahahah

But good thinking many times on other vehicle forum's I have heard people look for faults only to turn out to be a switch

Edited by hooliganATV - 19 Jan 18 at 09:37
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooliganATV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 18 at 13:02
So half way through our journey stopped, two questions.

1, the throttle has like a click near the bottom that seems to receive the engine is that like a overdrive or something??

2, there must be thermostatically controlled fan on the van as there was something making noise under the engine untill it cooled down. Any ideas bearing in mind I have ripped off the other one?? Oh and nothing visible
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooliganATV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 18 at 20:21
had an awesome trip, found out what the throttle click was after it develped into a sticky throttle, the pin under the pedle was catching the housing. ill take it apart at some point stick it all in the cleaner may be replace the pin and shave a bit of the housing to stop it develping in the future.

found out what the wires were in the switch, turns out it was the petrol fuel pump. when i tried to switch from LPG back to petrol it wouldn't start so i plugged the wires back in and it fired right up. all good. 

there is a few more jobs added to the list, a week or so and i'll get back on them. 

more updates to follow 
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooliganATV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 18 at 20:25
Pick of the van parked for the night

And the family all enjoying a bit of TV and WiFi

Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooliganATV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 18 at 22:46
moving house soon so work has been slow. 

i do have new flooring for nothing, and some other bits arrived to get cracking. my new house has garage attached which will make the world of difference   
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 18 at 23:51
You can get an LT in your garage, you lucky sod.
I can get a T3 in, but I have to let the tyres down to 15psi.Tongue
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooliganATV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 18 at 23:17
Originally posted by AndyT AndyT wrote:

You can get an LT in your garage, you lucky sod.
I can get a T3 in, but I have to let the tyres down to 15psi.Tongue

no but with a drive and garage at the house it means i don't have to take the van to my tool storage or bring the tool to the van depending on what i need, means a 10min job is 10 mins and not 40mins just moving stuff around hahaha 

also with the drive it means i can do larger jobs with out the time restraint of having to put it back together to move it in a day

work will be starting again soon. MOT first week in april 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123