The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1986 B reg 2.4 petrol issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1986 B reg 2.4 petrol issues
    Posted: 22 Nov 17 at 18:57
Hi all new member here!!

I own a coach built B reg LT35 horse box with the very fast 2.4 lump

Basically me and my gf were driving back from a horse comp and the LT started to over heat pretty bad!!! After i stopped checked fluids etc we waited for it to cool down nearly getting home it over heated bad again and this time when you eventually got to 30mph it would lose power and the whole cab would shake. I parked it up last Sunday and have been trying to figure out by googling and can't find anything. I hope you guys on here will be my saviour! .

To be honest it needs a good service but can't see that being the issue!

I have been told to check - thermostat, water pump, oil filter, and make sure fan I running.

Has anyone else experienced this or have an idea what it could be? Any help would be gratefully appreciated as my gf is nagging me to get it sorted haha!
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 17 at 19:20
Welcome to the forum, first thing I would ask is for you to add your details to your signature, saves everyone asking all the time.
2.4 lump could be petrol, diesel, or diesel turbo for example.

30mph max doesn't sound good but start with the basic checks:-

You don't say that you are losing fluid so.
Check water for oil.
Check oil for water.
Remove engine cover and start engine, check that the water pump is actually turning, not just the belt. Could be seized.
If it's the first time it's happened then need to know which engine variant.

LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

LTLee View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 17 at 20:57
It's a 2.4 straight 6 petrol.
robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 17 at 08:05
First stop as above water/oil oil/water........hopefully ok, if not grab the cheque book...
Next stop would be the water pump, if it had seized you would know, the belt would be screaming and if you had a seized pump would pretty much have shredded itself by now. The other common fault is that the impellers inside fall off which means it looks like its turn whereas inside it is doing diddly squat.....not sure if there is an easy way to ascertain this other by than dropping it out but given that the whole cam belt has to be disturbed for this then it suddenly isn't that straight forward....
Thermostat- cheap and easy to replace.....if you've been boiling your engine change it anyway.....

There are other things but would imagine it is one of the above......

RW

1985 LT40 2.4TD Coach built Pioneer Diamond
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
LTLee View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 17 at 14:49
Cool thanks Robby I've checked oil and water etc and all is good.

So I'm assuming it's gonna be the water pump and I'll just replace thermostat for piece of mind

Any diy on water pumps?
B reg 2.4 straight 6 petrol
robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 17 at 15:30
Ok before I proceed with this I am assuming the petrol versions are the similar to diesel units.....

The water pump has the cam belt driving it, if you remove the water pump you will have to lock off the cam etc to ensure that the timing is adjusted correctly upon refitting......

Easily enough to do with minimal tool requirements but that depends on your ability.

I do believe the Haynes manual has just been uploaded onto this site somewhere where the petrol engine is featured, give that a looking at!

Rob
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 17 at 17:56
2.4 is in the supplementary section at the back

P.S. if possible check timing and do a compression test before spending loads of time and dosh.
Rule out everything basic first.

Edited by AndyT - 23 Nov 17 at 17:58
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

LTLee View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 17 at 20:19
Hi yes it is ran off the cam belt could you send me the link for the manual I can't seem to find it. I'm a mechanical hydraulic technician by trade and always like to do the work myself on cars even though I'm not a mechanic.

I'm going to do a full service as well as change thermostat and change water pump.

I started it up earlier and you can hear squealing/squeaking assuming that's the water pump pooped!

Thanks for the help and advise everyone the forum is spot on just what I needed.
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 17 at 22:30
There are links to lots of useful stuff in the "New member please read topic in LT1 Chat".
Or you can follow the stickies at the top of the page.

LTLee View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 17 at 13:09
Just to let you’s know the water pump is running fine working as it should going to check thermostat tomorrow.

Where as for the vibrating past 30 and running rough 3 leads in the dizzy cap weren’t pressed in fully

So the only problem now is soon as I turn her on the temp shoots up but the engine isn’t hot at all so I’ve ordered a temp sensor and going to fit a new header tank tomorrow along with flush and new coolant.
robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 17 at 14:46
Just because it is turning doesn't mean it is pumping, the impellers fall off inside.

If its turning where are the squeals coming from then?

Yeah running on 3 cylinders isn't going to do it any good what so ever lol.

The temp sensor does that sometimes on mine, normally when its low on water as well as the red flashing light.......(shit I just mentioned the red flashing light)

RW
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
LTLee View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 17 at 15:18
It was me just being paranoid listening to hard haha.

Yeah I think that’s what it is so gonna change that tomorrow then see what happens haha
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 17 at 15:47
DONT put new antifreeze in until you are sure it is not overheating.
If the pump is fucked the new stuff will be full of filings from the water pump, so you have to throw it away.

LTLee View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 17 at 16:08
The water pump is fine we done different tests on it. The lads that triple checked for me overhaul vw campers Beatles etc.. as there job. He advise me that I need a new rocker cover breather seal and temp/coolant sensor.
LTLee View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 17 at 21:20
Water pump is sound thermostat is doing it’s job drained old coolant, flushed, fitted new header tank and topped with anti freeze tested light was still coming on further investigation and found that the wire had come off the coolant temp sensor. So panic over!
LTLee View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 17 at 15:30
More bad luck the vibrating continues found out it’s going to need the carrier on the propshaft refurbed there’s loads of play in the prop so gonna strip that down and take it to CPSdrivelink on the team valley Gateshead
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 17 at 15:34
Shouldn't be too expensive, make sure you replace the oil seal at the back of the gearbox, only a few quid.

LTLee View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 17 at 18:03
Been quoted 160 so not too bad! Yeah I am going too I noticed it’s wearing slightly I’ll get some pics of the wagon up just to share it
LTLee View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 17 at 18:54
Prop is off ready to be refurbed!

What gearbox oil is needed in these?

Also does anyone know the part number for the gearbox oilseal? Tried eBay and Euro Car Parts but it’s bringing up all sorts!

Cheees
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 17 at 12:03
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>