The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1986 B reg 2.4 petrol issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 17 at 15:33
Spot on cheers!

Where abouts do I fill the gearbox up? Is there a indicator on them? Do I need any special tools to pull the oil seal out?

Cheers
B reg 2.4 straight 6 petrol
nooberdoober View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 17 at 20:11
i use (i think because my book listed it) Castrol EPX 80W-90 for the rear axle. I forget what the book said for main gearbox oil. I'll have a look or you can find it on here somewhere. Most important is not to try and fill the gearbox up by pouring oil into the inviting looking flywheel inspection hole which is closer to the engine, on the same side as the filler hole, and has an easy rubber bung. The gearbox filler is a hexagon socket headed jobby on the offside of the box itself. mine was very tight. the a reg version doesnt have a fill level, which i've always  presumed means you fill it until it cant take any more.
I got me a 2.4 straight Six......and it's a soundin JUICY!

1984 LT40 2.4 petrol Coachbuilt Autotrail Motorhome
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 17 at 20:36
Read the manuals mate they are free to download
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

LTLee View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 17 at 16:09
Cheers mate your a star.

And Andy I can’t find the manuals got a link to them? Cheers
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 17 at 16:55
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 17 at 17:41
Re-named the topic to WORKSHOP MANUALS hopefully easier to find.
Sorry if I was grumpy and nothing personal, I've been directing people to the topic for 7 years, getting a bit old.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

LTLee View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 17 at 21:57
Sweet thanks Andy.

Managed to find the prop shaft/gearbox seal it’s ‘015301227 oil seal’ or 65x40x10 oil seal if anyone else is looking for one.

Can’t find these deals anywhere so gonna ring round some local bearing/seal places Monday
robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 17 at 12:05
Originally posted by AndyT AndyT wrote:

Re-named the topic to WORKSHOP MANUALS hopefully easier to find.
Sorry if I was grumpy and nothing personal, I've been directing people to the topic for 7 years, getting a bit old.

That's the joy of been an old timer, gotta remember you where a newbie once Wink

Let someone else point them in the right direction because they will, there are plenty in here to sort out the newbies........

Smile
1985 LT40 2.4TD Coach built Pioneer Diamond
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
LTLee View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 17 at 14:54
Haha sorry

Does anyone know if the original oil seal at the back of the gearbox (where the prop goes in) was that originally a metal seal with the rubber bonded to it? Do I need to removed the metal to replace with the new rubber seal? If so how what is the best way of getting that metal ring/seal off?

Thanks everyone’s been very helpful on here and this is my last bit of the puzzle apart from replace rocker cover breather but that’s nothing.
LTLee View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 17 at 19:19
All done! New oil seal on prop is back on fresh gearbox oil in and new rocker cover breather on! Drives like a dream! Just need to sort out rear lights now only 1 working I’m tjinking snip and recrimp ends!
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 17 at 19:31
Great news mate, always good to see another LT on the road.

robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 17 at 08:00
Happy days mate, happy days...

Smile
1985 LT40 2.4TD Coach built Pioneer Diamond
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
LTLee View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 17 at 20:13
Thanks for all the help and info!!

I’ll stick a few pics up let me know what you’s think
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12