The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JX power steering leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JX power steering leak
    Posted: 17 Oct 17 at 14:16
Hoping someone can help with power steering system? I have a major leak from what looks like a pump on the back of the engine? It's hard to see and get at, do I have to remove and service it, or is there an easier option?! Thanks
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 17 at 09:38
It will probably need to be serviced or replaced. Be careful, as my understanding is that if you allow the pump to run low on fluid then it can start to shed metal filings which could damage the rack.

Most engine belt configurations for the JX will allow you to remove the separate belt to the hydraulic pump so you can isolate the system and run with manual steering until you get a chance to sort out the pump - it's not ideal but at least gives you some breathing room.

With regard to parts BW stock kits for rebuilding the pump and OEM or third-party replacement pumps.

Edited by clift_d - 18 Oct 17 at 09:41
1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker syncro
 Post Reply Post Reply