FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Loosing coolant again

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loosing coolant again
    Posted: 14 Nov 17 at 17:50
Good news that you found the fault at least. Smile  I would still change the oil because although the pipe at back actually worked in your case there is still a chance that some of the coolant went into the engine.  I don't think you would notice say, a half litre rise in the oil level especially if it was slightly low anyway.

I changed the water pump on mine at around 4 years/40k and I used a genuine pump (that was 10 years ago) and it wasn't leaking, but at the time so many were failing I didn't trust it not to fail) the van is on 111k now and I must admit I am starting to think about another pump.  The main things with 2.5's is never to ignore coolant loss, nor grey power steering fluid or grey diesel fuel. Shocked  

I have a new door lock to fit (ebay £20 new!) and a new heater blower motor.  Then I will get to the water pump.  Not bad though since my van is coming up to its 14th Birthday.  Big smile
2004 2.5 174
Vw bob View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vw bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 17 at 13:43
Also forgot to say, they'd left me the pump to look at and there was a fair amount of play in the shaft , the seal never stood a chance .
Vw bob View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vw bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 17 at 13:41
Hi , yes was the water pump again, tbf they'd fitted a pattern one without me knowing and tbf I didn't ask , but even with a 3 day wait for a genuine one I waited for a vw one this time , although there was no obvious coolant dripping out of the bottom the oil level didn't go up either , ironically the day it went in I noticed a water droplet on the bottom of the engine and it tasted of A/F so I was hopeful of an external leak , but it was a hole specially designed to let any water out in the event of the pump going , apparently what happens is this hole gets blocked allowing the leak to build up undetected within the casing and that's when the coolant gets into the engine and knackers your oil
Flash635 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flash635 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 17 at 12:29
My R5 BAC Touareg was using 3 litres of water per 1000kms.
Water was leaking from the water pump into the crankcase and getting sucked up the PCV into the combustion chamber causing an overboost limp condition.

Mayonnaise under the 710 cap but no water or mud on the dipstick. I even drained the oil and couldn't find any water. Somebody told me there's a weep hole in the crankcase to let water out.

Doe the T5 have a water cooled EGR? That's usually the first place that loses water.

There can also be problems with the water cooled oil pump.
festa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 17 at 09:04
Seal's on the pump if a 5 pot are pre fitted so shouldn't need to take them off.
lwb 174,Wagner intercooler, rosten rods, balanced bottom end, GT2262v hybrid turbo, 2.7bar boost with full ss 76mm decat exhaust, itg filter, 440ft lbs@288bhp
Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 17 at 23:48
All relevant vehicle details should be in the first post, IMO

oil cooler for the gearbox, if it's an auto?

Edited by Rebuild - 27 Aug 17 at 23:49
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 17 at 23:12
I'm assuming it's a 2.5 Bob.  It shouldn't be leaking again but any part can fail early.  I wouldn't drive around until it's been checked because it can fill the sump with water. 

There other things like head gaskets that can cause water loss with no visible leaks but that is rare on a 2.5 so the pump sounds most likely.  If it is the pump it will need an oil and filter change.  
2004 2.5 174
Vw bob View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vw bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 17 at 15:20
Hi , noticed I'm loosing coolant again , no visible leaks , oil level not rising either but just used about 1.5 ltrs over a 600 mile trip on hols , annoying part is I had a water pump changed about 2.5 yrs /12k ago for the exact same symtoms , could it be this again ? , anyone else had one go after replacement? , I'm not sure but think I once read that the two rubber seals on the pump need to go on in the right order as ones an oil seal and ones a water seal , and I'm wondering if the garage I used didn't know this and the seals are now faulty    , cheers for any help

Edited by Vw bob - 27 Aug 17 at 15:23
 Post Reply Post Reply