The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vacuum Pump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vacuum Pump
    Posted: 11 May 17 at 18:30
Help.

Vacuum pump replaced last week.  Started holiday, half way to Scotland and lost power assist for brakes.  New vacuum pump has sheered all the bolts holding the cover.

On line found part numbers 075145100 and 075145101a.

I don't know which the broken one is!

Any idea which I need

1989 LT31 Florida with the 2.4 TD engine 102 HP, 75 KW  Model DV

Thanks for any ideas
1989 LT31 Florida 2.4TD
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 17 at 20:25

Just a thought - did you replace with exactly the same part number pump?

There is a variation in the length of the diaphragm operating rod (the rod inside the spring).

The difference in length means that the pin that runs the pump from the camshaft can be one of two sizes.

My understanding is that if you fit pump with a 'long' operating arm, to an engine that has a 'long' pin - it'll smash the pump up.

The pin just slides out of the head so can easily be changed.

Maybe worth checking before you put another pump on - I'm always a bit wary of replacing parts when I have an unexpected failure.

Back in the slow lane, yeah!
Roger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 17 at 22:15
Unfortunately no VW parts are available so the mechanic used what the supplier sent.  Can't check the original now as it is a couple hundred miles away and probably disposed of already.

Does anyone else have an idea of how I can tell if the samples arriving in the morning are the right one?

Thanks

Roger
1989 LT31 Florida 2.4TD
Roger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 17 at 17:15
Problem Solved

The Brickwerks service department did not have the correct part available but they kindly sent me a Pierburg service bulletin which clearly states the problem and has a photo of the correct pump.  Evidently the part number cross checkers don't always note the change VW made in 1994.  Note: this also applies to some T4 as well.

Edited by Roger - 12 Jun 17 at 17:27
1989 LT31 Florida 2.4TD
Roger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 17 at 15:49
Reposting Piersburg Service bulletin as image in previous post may soon disappear due to photobucket changing their T&Cs.

1989 LT31 Florida 2.4TD
 Post Reply Post Reply