The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fusebox fire repairs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aye-AyeBooks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fusebox fire repairs
    Posted: 20 Apr 17 at 12:38
My van caught fire! Here's the story and the predicament - any advice or tips gratefully received

We were parked up (me and 3 kids), and someone (no recriminations) tossed a penny into the lighter socket. Sparks started around the socket, I couldn't fish it out - seemed to be jammed in there. Then  came the smell of melting plastic and smoke from the other side of the dash. We evacuated the vehicle sharpish. Plastic was dripping from behind the dash.

With the kids in a safe place I went back in and got out the fire extinguisher, and sprayed everything with powder, eventually putting out the fire.
A passer by had helpfully called the fire brigade who duly turned up and checked for residual fire, and disconnected the battery for me.

Now I need to get it repaired. It'll need a replacement fuse box, relays, wiring and I don't know what else. It's at a garage here in Glasgow who've done electrical work for me before, but I think they're a bit daunted. The insurers have taken nearly three weeks to inform me they want it to be a total right off (category D), garage are fed up with having it hanging around.

And I'm booked on a ferry to Amsterdam on 23 June for a two-month trip across Europe...

A look at a few sites suggests parts are available -  mainly coming from Germany. I don't have the facilities or skills to work on it myself.

Ideally I'd like to find an electrical wizard and parts genius in Scotland who could sort it all out. That's the 'unicorn' solution.

Other than that, any advice or pointers would be gratefully received.

And I advise always keeping the lighter in the socket, and don't give your kids money!

Thank you for your time.
1991 LT31 2.4TD Westfalia Florida
912 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 17 at 14:06
I have a loom and fuse box, it's probably a couple of days work to swap it over
Aye-AyeBooks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aye-AyeBooks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 17 at 14:26
Fantastic, may I purchase those from you?
The garage told me one day's work, for the damage they could see, but I'll be budgetting for at least double that. Waiting for the insurance company to make me a salvage retention offer.
1991 LT31 2.4TD Westfalia Florida
tellytubby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tellytubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 17 at 22:26
Not an expert but I have rewired a few bikes and cars in the past.  If you run into problems with this pop me a PM and I'll try and help.

Rewired all the electrics in my camper this year because of worries about fire.  The previous conversion was properly done but there was an 8 year gap where the owner had been busy with terminal block and insulating tape!  Mains voltage might give you a nasty shock but low voltage is still seriously dangerous especially as regards fire.

Magill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 17 at 20:30
Sorry for your loss!

Edited by Magill - 20 May 17 at 20:46
 Post Reply Post Reply