The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1.6 JX TD - Top Speed 55MPH ish....?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1.6 JX TD - Top Speed 55MPH ish....?
    Posted: 16 Feb 17 at 09:45
researched through old posts, but still not sure whether I have a fixable issue or not.

1.6 JX TD (replacement engine in Germany around 2002), Westy HT, 5 Speed - it's doing 4000rpm in 5th and 85 KPH (52 MPH), would go a little further but red-lines at roughly 4500 I think, standard wheels.

It's a bit smokey but even if I have engine/turbo issues the ratio won't change, other posts talk about cruising at 100-110 KPH, I'm some way off - what options do I have...? Am I missing something?

'89 Club Joker High Top
Titus A Duxass View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 17 at 15:54
85kph is way too low, mine would easily pull 115kph.
You may want to search on here for Baxter's smoky JX thread.

That'll be your starter for 10.
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
Titus A Duxass View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 17 at 15:57
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
Adef View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 17 at 16:07
Thanks - i took a look there before posting , but it won't change the fact I'm revving 4000rpm for 85KPH will it... the ratio is the ratio, that's where I'm confused.
Could I have the wrong gearbox, how would I know etc, was my rough thinking.....
'89 Club Joker High Top
Timjburrows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 17 at 17:26
The worst possable combination would give you 50 mph @3269 rpm on standard tyres,SO have you tried a sat nav for an accurate speed on a flat road?and a tachometer on the crankshaft for an accurate rpm reading as at least one is incorrect?unless the clutch is slipping?

Edited by Timjburrows - 16 Feb 17 at 17:27
fatboy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
judge judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fatboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 17 at 00:11
Are you aware of the pattern of the gearbox? Are you definitely in fifth gear? That is extremely slow for the revs you are quoting.
'83 T3 westy - biguns got it
68 buggy again!- Roger the cat is going to finish it
Syncro, previously known as the scoobyvelle

Shit I need to sell some MORE cars!
Adef View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 17 at 09:28
HI Guys - further investigation last night, clearly a newbie :), but still the same speed issues:

Think engine is a AAZ 1.9 TD (1.9 Stamped on bottom) '95 AAZ 1.9 TD written on rocker cover. (Haven't found engine number yet dispite reading all threads/info)
Gearbox is a 3H
Tyres 205/70/14 (Original VW Alloys)

Rev counter could be wrong?

I'm definitely in 5th, speed from speedo is about right as have other half follow me, plus get overtake my trucks on Mway.
(Will post pic of engine if that helps)

Reading lots of posts last night, an AAZ and 3H box should be working fine and giving me around 60-65mph around the 3600 ish rpm....?
Confused.

Edited by Adef - 17 Feb 17 at 09:44
'89 Club Joker High Top
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 17 at 10:34

If you're definitely in 5th gear and the speedo is reading correct(ish) then it has to be one of the other two possibilities already mentioned, either your tacho is lying to you, (what do your ears tell you? does the engine SOUND like it's revving its nuts off if you get someone to hold it at 4000 revs on the tacho for a few seconds? and as mentioned get a true reading from a crankshaft tacho), or you've got a slipping clutch also as mentioned, I can't really see any other options. 
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
oxford_rebel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oxford_rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 17 at 12:09
My money is on the rev counter reading wrong. It's fed from the W terminal on the alternator and it's quite common for AAZ engines to have a mix match of belts and pulleys leading to a misreading. Mine read under by about 1000rpm at 3k for years, until we changed the belt setup to a golf flat belt and pulleys and it all worked fine after that. I'd be checking your engine revs are actually doing what the tacho says.
Cruising at 55mph, does it feel likening has plenty of go left in it? My AAZ was pretty much foot to the floor and nothing left to give after 70mph, but would pull well in top from 55mph.
Need Bands, PA, Staging or Lighting for your VW event? - Soundwave Audio
Adef View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 17 at 12:46
thanks all - don't think it has much go after 55 so maybe clutch, but I need to get out of the Devon lanes and do another test run, will sort a reading from the crankshaft, see if clutch is slipping etc, I'll be happy with a 65mph cruise, so fingers crossed.

Thanks for all advice
'89 Club Joker High Top
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 17 at 14:00
I've got an AAZ with 3H box. I can pull a sat nav 80mph plus at 4.7k revs?
I'm in Torbay next time you fancy it pop round and we can go for a spin and see if we can suss it out?
Infact think I've just asked about your buddy seat!!
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 17 at 17:31
possible you haven't got a 3H box?

T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 17 at 19:35
I've got mega tall rear tires on? 215 x 70 r16
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 17 at 16:08
if the clutch isn't slipping I would fingd the gearbox code to make sure you have the box you think you have. code will be stamped on the flat bit on the gearbox below the reversing light switch
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 17 at 17:14
I keep thinking would a 4 speed linkage on a 5 speed box mean you only in third?
lambretta lee View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lambretta lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 17 at 19:20
Originally posted by ob1 ob1 wrote:

I keep thinking would a 4 speed linkage on a 5 speed box mean you only in third?
surely he'd know if he changed gear 5 times ..
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 17 at 19:44
Hmm good point - very sloppy gear linkages...
Adef View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 17 at 13:31
It's had new linkages I think, and I'm 99.99% sure I'm in 5th :)

Need to give it another run out this week, keeping my ear on the Revs, plus Ob1 is local and has offered to compare against his, so hopefully doing that soon, will update on results.
thanks all
'89 Club Joker High Top
Timjburrows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 17 at 19:26
When your doing 55mph put your foot down on the clutch and see if it revs any more then you would know if it's flat out or not
Pete Westy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Westy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 17 at 20:57
Any long downhill stretches on the A38 to try it on with your foot on the floor?
Pete

I've spent so much time under the Atlantic I'm changing my name to Titanic.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>