The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT 28 insulating external water tanks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiggerandfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT 28 insulating external water tanks
    Posted: 08 Feb 17 at 21:16
So my renovation creeps forward in between caring for my 7 month old son in my new occupation as a full time dad.... so perhaps not as much actual progress and more planning BUT in anticipation

The recent cold snap in the SW has started me thinking - I have 2 external water tanks ( we were told they were 50 litres each when we bought Nancy) secured under the van) They are oblong, black and made of hard plastic.

Ideally should they be insulated to prevent us waking up to two frozen water tanks or does the warmth inside the van prevent them freezing?

Any tips on how to insulate , what works best and ideally on a budget as this baby lark is not cheap!!!

Thanks

Simon
Simon
1985 LT 28 2.4D
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 17 at 11:59
I'm not sure there is a fix, any insulation is likely to get wet and could cause corrosion.
Personally I've never used the tanks on my old bus, I just carry a couple of 5 litre bottles inside and use a bowl in the sink.
Even if you can't refill them they are cheap enough at the supermarket.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Tiggerandfish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiggerandfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 17 at 12:16
Hi Andy thanks for your reply.

I want to be able to keep the tanks for the shower etc and be able to be self sufficient for a few days at a time

Perhaps I'm just over thinking it as they are without insulation now - how the mind wanders when watching CBeebies

Any news on your LT ? I'm still interested in parts if you don't manage to sell on as a whole vehicle

Simon
Simon
1985 LT 28 2.4D
robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 17 at 13:42
Originally posted by Tiggerandfish Tiggerandfish wrote:

Hi Andy thanks for your reply.

I want to be able to keep the tanks for the shower etc and be able to be self sufficient for a few days at a time

Perhaps I'm just over thinking it as they are without insulation now - how the mind wanders when watching CBeebies

Any news on your LT ? I'm still interested in parts if you don't manage to sell on as a whole vehicle

Simon

Andy what are you breaking?

RW
1985 LT40 2.4TD Coach built Pioneer Diamond
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 17 at 13:55
I'm in no rush so not breaking at the moment.
If I do then I will give you guys first pick.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Dreamcatcher View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 17 at 23:04
You may be able to find a firm to spray them with a bonded foam.
Dave 1991 LT31 Camper
Tiggerandfish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiggerandfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 17 at 19:50
Thanks dreamcatcher - good idea !

I'll add to my wish list

Simon
Simon
1985 LT 28 2.4D
 Post Reply Post Reply